Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Speed issue with Master socket

Hello,

I am receiving 12 Mbps when the homehub 3 is plugged directly into the test socket (normal for ADSL 2+)

However, when plugged into the socket on the front of the Master socket faceplate am receiving far slower speeds.

Initially when running speedtest.btwholesale.com I was getting 0.3 - 0.8 Mbps, it is now up to 7 Mbps, just over half the speed achieved through the test socket.

Is this indicative of something wrong with the faceplate or is it something more serious?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

I'll post ADSL stats below anyway:

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 05:03:15
Downstream:8.373 Mbps
Upstream:1.129 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):11.5 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):20.4 dB / 11.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):234575 / 63
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):1536369 / 117
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):4885 / 51
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
openwm
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Speed issue with Master socket

Easy you either have poor wiring off the face plate. A missing filter on one of the extensions or an extension socket has a capacitor on it.
Are the extension metal ones
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

if you can just disconnect the extension wiring from front plate and then see if master socket gives same speed as test socket  if not it's faulty if ok then look to poor extension wiring/sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hi thanks for the replies,

Can you please tell me why extension wiring would interfere with the speed from the faceplate socket?

We have one known faulty extension but aside from it not working, it has not affected download speed before.

None of the extensions have a metal look to them, just standard white plastic.

Filters are fitted on the extensions in use.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

faulty extension wiring will cause interference which will affect your broadband when bottom half of master is replaced and the interference is removed when using test socket.

have you removed the bellwire from terminal 3 in all your sockets 

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I've just read through the guide but I don't think it it would serve as a fix as we actively use the extensions, especially the one in the living room to which the home hub is normally connected.

The master socket is normally never used as it does not have a nearby power socket.

I would really appreciate some direction in regards to fault finding internally.

Is the first step to fix the known faulty extension that isn't in use?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

that is where I would start and find out why it does not work 

have you removed the bellwire from all sockets?  it really can cause interference problems

0 Ratings