Message 31 of 47

Re: Speed issues? Low upload speed?

Please keep us posted on your progress as it may help others in the future
0 Ratings
Semmy
Contributor
Message 32 of 47

So the Openreach broadband engineer called in on Weds, line checks were fine over the full spectrum in both directions. Possibly an issue with the modem so that has been swapped out.

Upon reconnection exactly the same speeds.. odd? No evidence of DLM sensing the interruptions.......

So, I thought time to try a little test to see if I could shake the connection up a little and ran rapid resets and disconnects for approx an hour. No change, an instant reconnect at the same speeds.....

OK, thought I, lets try disconnecting overnight, next day an immediate reconnect at the same speed......

Is it possible that DLM has been switched off on my connection and I am on a fixed line speed? (This would explain why the connection cannot retrain to a higher speed)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 47

Without seeing your current hub stats it is hard to say what has changed
0 Ratings
Semmy
Contributor
Message 34 of 47

There you go John, the latest hub stats and strangely enough as I did sort of mention above nothing much has altered........

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:
Connected
Connection time:
0 day, 02:56:30
Downstream:
13,359 Kbps
Upstream:
736 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:
0/38
Type:
PPPoA
Modulation:
G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:
Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):
6.1 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):
22.5 dB / 10.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):
20.7 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):
0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):
73 / 366
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):
HEC Errors (Down/Up):
57 / 238
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):
0 / 247
0 Ratings
Semmy
Contributor
Message 35 of 47

BTW no insult intended John and I am sure you mean well but your responses seem to add little to the discussion other than a set of preformatted statements, failing to address the specific points I reference in my posts.

BTW the BT wholesale speed test still gives the same line profile too.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 47

Your upload speed is around normal for ADSL2+

You are certainly not on a fixed speed service your IP profile will always be 88.2% of your connection speed on ADSL2+
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Semmy
Contributor
Message 37 of 47

So how does that explain the issue that the DLM is not modifying my connection speed for instability and my connection speed has remained pretty much constant over the duration of the connection even including the 10 day training period?

Also I would call the statement that my upload is normal for ADSL2+ as plain rubbish or misdirection, how do you explain the varying rates of connection by line length etc? Others with similar attenuation, noise margin are connecting at 1M+......

Re. The comment that my IP will be 88.2% of my connection does not explain me having a download speed of 12.4 on a 13.359 connection which equates to 93%?

Something is definitely not correct with my connection....

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 38 of 47

@Semmy wrote:

So the Openreach broadband engineer called in on Weds, line checks were fine over the full spectrum in both directions. Possibly an issue with the modem so that has been swapped out.

Upon reconnection exactly the same speeds.. odd? No evidence of DLM sensing the interruptions.......

So, I thought time to try a little test to see if I could shake the connection up a little and ran rapid resets and disconnects for approx an hour. No change, an instant reconnect at the same speeds.....

OK, thought I, lets try disconnecting overnight, next day an immediate reconnect at the same speed......

Is it possible that DLM has been switched off on my connection and I am on a fixed line speed? (This would explain why the connection cannot retrain to a higher speed)

That's actually quite a clever test you did .... and as you rightly state, it's almost as if the line is void of any line management. The fast and furious disconnects you undertook should by all accounts have sent the connection into line flap mode, or at least heightened downstream margin ... yet nothing.

You're right to ask the question about whether there is an issue, especially how the line is configured on the msan.

I would write in again, as the notes will be on file, and ask the moderators to request a network config check of the connection with Btw. (almost augurs of line clamping on the msan) .... allbeit a strange situation.  😉

Semmy
Contributor
Message 39 of 47

Thanks for that Roger, that would make more sense!

0 Ratings
Semmy
Contributor
Message 40 of 47

Just had an email back from the mod team, apparently my MTBR is quite high (not sure what that is though) that may have a stabilising effect on the DLM. They have also checked my line speed isnt clamped, also BTw have confirmed this (would that be a records check, a software report or a physical check of the MSAN though?).

The next step I have requested (upon their suggestion) is a lowering of my noise margin to 3dB, this will either boot the DLM into activity or boost my speeds... Either one being a result TBH as I suspect they may not be able to "convince" the noise margin to move.

So, it's wait out again!

0 Ratings