cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carruthers
Message 1 of 5

Speed now constantly slow

Hi,

About a month ago we started getting a fluctuating broad band speed (previously a good 10 Mbps). Once the speed dropped to below 1Mbps we also lost our phone line. An engineer visited and moved us to another line. After he left we had 16 Mbps but withing 24 hours it had dropped to 3.7 Mbps and it has remained constant at that for days now. The IP profile is also showing as 4 Mbps.

I have been receiveing terrible service from the BT call centres and am often told conflicting things in the same call. 2 days ago I was told they had finally reset my line. I was told to expect a steady increase to start within 12-24 hours of the reset. However, there has been no change. Most recently I was told they would adjust the noise as this was quite high. Alas there is still no change.

I have always been a commited BT customer so I am willing to try for a few more days before I finally have to admit defeat and move to another provider who can offer a steady fibre optic connection. Do you have any ideas?

I have a Home Hub 3. My phone and hub have filters and as technical help always seem to ask, my main phone socket has two screws in the lower portion. 

Downstream:4.438 Mbps
Upstream:888.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):13.7 dB / 13.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):22.9 dB / 12.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):342382 / 937
CRC Events (Down/Up):1 / 2
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 4
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):5 / 4
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Speed now constantly slow

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, could you please read the web page that is shown below, which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.

When you have done that, please follow the instructions at the end, and post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

Speed and disconnections

You should be connecting at about 19mb. Can you plug your home hub directly into the test socket behind the faceplate via a microfilter please. Also, the stats you have displayed, do not show how long you have been connected for.

You must not reset or disconnect the home hub for at least five days, to allow the speed to be increased.

0 Ratings
Carruthers
Message 3 of 5

O.k. I'll move my hub tonight and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the quick reply.
0 Ratings
Carruthers
Message 4 of 5

When I got home, before moving anything I did a test and found my speed had suddenly jumped up to 14Mps and the connection time was showing as only 10mins. Maybe something just got reset then.

Anyway, if it stays at this I'll be very happy!

Thanks for trying to help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

ok post back if you need more help
0 Ratings