cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gullsfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Speed (or lack of it)

My infinity two was installed yesterday. The engineer eventually relocated the master socket to a bedroom (after disconnecting and reconnecting every socket in the house)

I currently have a Tp link wireless adapter fitted to my computer which is situated in a spare bedroom, as I am currently decorating the bedroom where the master socket has been located.

I am concerned that the speed is definately slower than my previously wired total broadband connection.

I know that there is supposed to be a ten day bedding in period - but I now cannot load and play any form of video content such as sports highlights, you tube etc. Nothing will play - the connection is just too slow.

I am getting 100% signal from the TP link adapter which is around 40 feet away from the modem/hub which is in another bedroom.

Surely even with a wireless conncetion it should be working better than this?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Speed (or lack of it)

unless your devices are wireless N enabled your wireless speed will be low a wired connection is the best way to get optimum speed
0 Ratings
gullsfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

The wireless adapter is N enabled. My computer is now so slow this morning it won't even download any page with picture content on it. I can't even download the bt desktop help utility.

I find it hard to accept that the problem is caused by me running the computer with a wireless connection. My previous total broadband ran this computer with a wired connector. Another computer with a wireless connector (with my partners son continually playing heavy usage games) and a laptop. All ran pretty cheerfully with no real problems.

I have actually ran the bt speedtest (albeit with the wireless connection) - .15 mbps download .37 mbps upload - I should be getting something like 65.93 apparently.

I will attempt to connect via ethernet to the hub later on this morning and see what happens then.

Clearly as it stands any wireless connection to my service is unusable anyway.

What are the chances of this being a problem with the installation? - the engineer was a very amenable chap but arrived at 7.15 pm in the evening and had to travel for 2 hours before he got here. At times he seemed somewhat unsure of himself as regards the installation.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 6

So we know exactly where we stand, run the speedtest at  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and after the test choose ‘Further Diagnostics’ and post the speeds and the profiles that this gives.

Run it wired and wireless to help clarify if it is a broadband or wireless issue; and will also help clarify if it was an installation problem.  You should eventually be able to get decent wireless even with BT's less than stellar HomeHubs, but got to narrow it down first.

Probably pretty similar to what you have already done, but not sure whether I should be getting something like 65.93 apparently comes from speedtest profile, speed estimate, or ...???

0 Ratings
gullsfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

i am currently connected with an ethernet cable - the speeds improved drastically something like 55 I think. Will rrun the tests again in a day or two and post the results.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

you could be suffering wireless interference download inssider and then run it and then reset your wireless channel to a clear channel
0 Ratings