cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruddney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Speed problems, with contradictory stats.

Go to solution

Greetings all, I hope theres someone who can help around here.

This connection has been troublesome for a couple of years now and I'd like advice on two fronts.

1) making sense of some of the stats I'm about to post so that its caused by what I think it is.

2) how do I get BT to recalculate my ip profile quickly? I'll Explain why below.

so, here are the numbers

BT speedtest

Download speedachieved during the test was - 119 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

Speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1228706324.png

Router (v1, but v2 gave the same values)

Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)13.6 dB / 13.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)65.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.5 dBm / 1.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1471 / 87
CRC Errors (Down/Up)706 / 42
HEC Errors (Down/Up)390 / 22
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)409 / 36

All of my woes in the past have been caused by momentary interruptions to the line, which is to be expected in Rural Lincolnshire 2k from the phone exchange thats been stocked with ancient eqipment and connected with lines decades old to houses with decades old wiring.

the mometary interruptions seemed to cause the ip profile to go screwy so that the phone exchange refuses to relinquish download bandwidth to me, at my computer I am DLing at 15kbs

as you can see the upload speed is much faster than the download, and supports the notion that the line itself is capable of handling higher speeds.

The ping is an interesting consideration as its at 57ms, yesterday it was 250ms and would shoot up to 1000ms the second you actually tried doing anything.

this happens quite often as out here in the sticks power cuts and other interruptions are to be expected, and while it get frustrated at paying the same as a city go-er who gets 8MB broadband, I understand that BT can't be expected to provide perfect service in such a large sparsely populated area.

So, how do I deal with this? in teh past I've phoned up and had to do a song and dance routine to get to someone who would give me the number to the engineering dept so that someone with expertise can talk to me, who would promise to leave a call at the phone exchange for the guy to fix me up...thats alot of money down the drain on the call and alot of my time wasted just so that I can be told "please don't disconnect your router for 72hrs so that blah blah"

covering my bases (for anyone who thinks its a problem on my end)

tried different microfilters

3 different computers with different OS's, AVs etc all find same problem

2 different routers (both BT home hubs, one v1 and one v2)

tried reseting routers multiple times and to factory settings

router is in the master telephone socket which goes directly to the main line outside

right now performance is so low that I cannot watch a youtube video in real time with it on the lowest possible resolution (ordinarily I can watch one at 360, not great but acceptable.

If I leave the router plugged in and nothing interrupts it, then eventually this will fix itself, shortest time for this has been 12hrs, the longest has been 1 week. While the internet is indeed a source of great personal enjoyment for me and others in this household, its also something we came to rely on professionally and organisationally before we came to this house. a week where simply checking your e-mail takes 10x longer or viewing even a simple .jpeg file takes several minutes causes immense frustration and setback.

If anyone can help on any issue here, I would be most grateful.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Speed problems, with contradictory stats.

Go to solution
Hi I understand your problems unfortunately you are at the end of a very long line your attenuation figures show your line length as 4.7km from the exchange and with a perfect line you may get 1.6mb however that is an ideal world your disconnections are the cause of low speed as you say this reduces your IP profile unfortunately as the setting of the ip profile is automatic all you can do is wait the typical 3/5 days of stable connection for your profile to restore there is no faster way of restoring it i am afraid as even intervention here by the board mods need a minimum of 3 days stable connection before bt wholesale will raise the profile yo could check you phone line for any noise on voice calls by dialling 17070 and selecting option 2 you should here no noise preferably using a corded phone in the test socket at the back of the master socket any noise heard should be reported as an voice fault phone 151 and report it however do not mention broadband if there is any noise once solved your broadband should improve accordingly after a few days
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

As john46 says all the disconnections are the reason your noise marginis high.  This has not been helped by all the things you have well meaningly tried to sort your connection but every change of filter, router change etc is causing another reset.

your profile is 250 but that's high for your speed so may well drop to 135 to match speed.

You say you are connected to the master socket but do you have a detachable bottom have with the test socket behind.  if so and you have other extension sockets in your home then it would help if you connected to the test socket to eliminate any noise from your internal wiring.

you can also check this 

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ruddney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

cheers, I've already tried that but thanks anyway

Well, I've applied for nursing and had 3 interviews, wish me luck that I can move to a city and away from the technological backdrop that is Lincolnshire 😛

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Ruddney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Connection time 3 days, 17:05:16

still no progress

why do BT have to recalculate my IP profile anyway?

I mean...my possible max speed never changes so why not just leave it as a static number?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

profile is based on your current speed as seen here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

can you post stats again if you want further help/suggestions

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ruddney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

bt speedtest

Download speedachieved during the test was - 123 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

router stats

Line stateConnected
Connection time3 days, 17:37:18
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream

448 Kbps

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1232967973.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

can you post the rest of the stats which will include noise margin and errors

0 Ratings
Ruddney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)19.0 dB / 13.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)65.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.5 dBm / 1.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)3070 / 235
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1307 / 112
HEC Errors (Down/Up)620 / 71
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)912 / 82
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Ruddney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

http://www.pingtest.net/result/38086885.png

also thought this might help

0 Ratings