cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Speed reduced and stabilisation period help

Having connected my homehub for the first time 10 days ago, i was getting aroung the 12 meg mark. This speed stayed for the next two then gradulaly decreased which is now around the 8 meg mark . I have been doing some research and noticed people were talking about a stabilastion peroid where you may see your speed increase or decrease during the first ten days. I can not get any solid information on if i have to keep my homehub connected for a full ten days as now the first ten days of setting up the broadband is over. Could i get some clarification on how the stabliaztion period works and if i should keep my home hub on for the next 10 days with resetting or switching it off.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Speed reduced and stabilisation period help

welcome to the forum

the first 10 days after activation the hub should be left connected 24/7 while the exchange equipment tries to find the best stable connection for your line.  however if there is any noise on your line either external or internal due to your wiring then the speed may be lower than you expected/hoped for.

if you would like some help/assistance from forum members then please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 08:02:32
Downstream:9.143 Mbps
Upstream:782.2 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):16.2 dB / 9.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):30.4 dB / 17.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.6 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):30454 / 74
CRC Events (Down/Up):15 / 43
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):121 / 41
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):8 / 31

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

your connection time is only 8hrs is that due to the hub resetting or was it a manual reset?  your noise margin is also high at 16 as normal is about 6 suggesting either resets or noise on the line or both.

did you try quiet line test?

are uou connected to master or test socket?

with your attenuation of 30.4 and a good line I would expect a connection of about 14/14.5mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Thank you for your reply imjolly. As im out the house i can do any further tests tonight but will d them tommorow and post them. 

I have not done a quiet line test yet.

I am connected to a socket upstairs as the master socket is in the living and too far from the main pc

The connection time is only 8 hrs as i did not know that the hub had to be on 24/7 for ten days where as the ten days are up today for the stabilisation period. Will this effect my speed as i have turned off and reseted the hub a few times within the first 10 ten days? Thanks Chris

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

will just need to wait until you are back home and can post more information.  resetting during the 10 days will sort itself out after we can find a solution to your problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Thank you. So should i keep the hub connected 24/7 for the next ten days. Also i will post the other result asap.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

see what your results are for quiet line and connection - the best connection is the test socket behind the detachable bottom half of the master

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Here are the results for today

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:1 days, 02:23:57
Downstream:9.143 Mbps
Upstream:782.2 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.9 dB / 9.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):30.4 dB / 17.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.6 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):228463 / 932
CRC Events (Down/Up):271 / 368
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):6247 / 349
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):90 / 282

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 7596 Kbps

0 Kbps21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7596 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :9362 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 782 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 8259 Kbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 582 Kbps

0 Kbps782 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 582 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 782 Kbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Also just down the quiet line test and its sounds like a faint hum buzzing noise. Sorry if the desciption is terrible 

0 Ratings