Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ewi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Speed suddenly dropped

Go to solution

Hi,

After having Infinity installed on the 5th May I was very happy with the speed which was consistantly over 34mbs with my IP profile being set to 38mbs but as of yesterday my speed has dropped to 4mbs with my IP profile now at 4.5mbs, see latest test result:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 4047 Kbps

0 Kbps4535 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 4047 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-4535 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -4535 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 199 Kbps

0 Kbps10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 199 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

I emailed a fault yesterday and received an automated email that didn't address possible reasons for the drop in my IP Profile, just the routine things to check that I don't believe would affect the profile. Any further suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I also noticed yesterday that my phone line seems to be affected with the line being very crackly at my end. As the line to my house is underground the current windy conditions should not have any affect.

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Speed suddenly dropped

Go to solution

try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing so any hiss or crackle is a fault and needs fixed.  dial 151 and report a phone fault NOT a broadband fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ewi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried a quiet line test and it was far from quiet, lots of crackling so I then called 151 to report it. They already have the ticket for my broadband fault and have now added a phone line fault to my report.

Just got off the phone with BT and after trying my phone in the test socket and still getting crackling they have booked a phone line engineer to come and check it out. Fingers crossed he finds a fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

sounds like if you get the phone crackle fixed that should also help sort your broadband problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ewi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

That's what I'm hoping without a charge as they did say that if they found a fault with my equipment then they would charge me but as the fault is affecting my phone and broadband and as BT only installed Infinity a few weeks ago I don't expect a charge.

0 Ratings
Ewi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Engineer attended on the 27th May and confirmed that there was crackling on the line. He then tested the broadband speed and said it all looked OK (estimated download of 40 mbs and upload of 10mbs), I then retested my connection and confirmed that the speed was back to normal (around 35mbs download and 8mbs upload) so it seems unplugging the modem from the BT socket and plugging it back in again sorted the problem. 

Anyway after a few hours he determined that there was a problem between my house and the street cabinet so he switched me onto a different cable pair and noise is now gone Smiley Happy. I was impressed with the engineer, he was very thorough and persisted until he had resolved the fault.

0 Ratings