I have a home hub 2 which used to connect at a reliable 3 meg. Recently my speeds are very slow and the router resets every couple of days. I am currently getting 120kbps down and 124 kbps up according to My Broadband Speed.
My router shows
ADSL line status
|Connection time||0 days, 1:01:12|
|Noise margin (Down/Up)||9.1 dB / 7.0 dB|
|Line attenuation (Down/Up)||38.0 dB / 20.5 dB|
|Output power (Down/Up)||19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm|
|Loss of Framing (Local)||13|
|Loss of Signal (Local)||6|
|Loss of Power (Local)||0|
|FEC Errors (Down/Up)||83134 / 0|
|CRC Errors (Down/Up)||1548 / N/A|
|HEC Errors (Down/Up)||N/A / 0|
|Error Seconds (Local)||720|
I would love to leave it for 3 days to settle but it resets of its own accord. My neighbour who is with Virgin gets a reliable 5 meg and our connections come off the same pole.
Is it worth buying a new router and giving that a try.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Your target margin seems to be 9db which if it was 6db originally (the default) would probably explain the difference between 2.5mbs and 3mbs, may have been upped by the DLM due to a lot of diconnections in a short period at some stage or by BT for some reason.
Your neighbour having a connection from the same pole and getting a much faster speed does not really mean much, it all depends on how your line is jointed and what pairs you are on. As an exampe I have a neighbout who is about a mile nearer the exchange than me and we are on the same cable path, however despite my line extending that further mile I get a faster broadband speed.
The reason for that in this case will be that in 2006 the first 1km or so of my line was switched to a new 50pair 0.9 cable that was laid for various reasons. It is almost certain that this neighbour however is not on that newer cable (only a few pairs have been used as of now) and so is on the older thinner cable and so while the line path is mostly identical and runs the exact same route about 12% if the physical cable is very much different.
Have you tried connecting to BT master socket, changing filters etc. If you are happy that there is no issue from your side of the master socket and as you say it keeps disconnecting automatically and your profile wont improve, certainly improvement for higher sync, put your attenuation of 38 in here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php . Might be worth mailing the mods http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 I would not be looking at spending money on a new router just yet!
I have been connecting to the test socket in the master socket for the last couple of weeks and I am using a new micro filter as well. It doesn't seem to make any difference. What can I do to improve the situation?
My profile says that I should be getting 2 meg but I am getting a small fraction of that. I will try the mods as you suggest.
More like 6ish meg, but yes contact the mods, we only encourage checks customer (our) end as they will very likely want to send a engineer out from Openreach , if your set up is at fault then you are liable for £130.00 charge.
Thanks. I have sent a message to the mods and hope they will assist. If it fixes the problem in the long term, I will happily pay £130. I would just like reliable broadband.
it can take up 72hrs for them to get back, they are good. Hope it gets fixed for you!
Well I had an email from one of the mods yesterday, and an engineer will call. So good so far. I will report back how it goes.
Just in case when they test the line get them to tell you what the line balance reading is, it idealy should be greater than around 75db. Current suggestion is that this was the cause of all my line issues over the years since a section of cable was taken it down by almost 20db because of some fault or issue with that cable underground.
Well I received an Email from one of the Mods (Dean) who offered to look into the problem. He asked for availability dates for an engineer to call and check the equipment. I gave him 2 weeks worth of dates and nobody has been in touch since, nobody has called and the problem persists. It is 2 weeks further on and I currently have 350kbps download speed.
All I ask is that someone looks into the problem, is that too much to ask.