cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Speeds after exchange upgrade

Currently on  Bt Total Broadband with all calls free  connection speed 6.2 mbps  Estimated speed 5.0 mbps (according to bt speedtest) received email on 2nd July stating exchange was being upgraded on 5th July which it was and yes i lost connection  briefly as was explained in the email. I then expected to be upgraded to what is stated in broadband checker guide which states Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb)  , most neighbours have been upgraded to this automatically at no cost however i am still on the slow speed, paying the same amount as those with the fast speeds, i am still on the original bt home hub as well the first white one so dont know if this is why i have not been upgraded, had an outstanding bill which has also now been paid in full but when i contacted BT help online all they kept going on about was that it iwas in process, then when passed to another advisor i was told infinity would not be available to me until 30th september... i never asked about infinity all i want is the max line sopeed that is offered to all NEW customers but after having been with BT for more years than i care to remember this is all they can offer me, so i guess i am stuck now paying for 1/4 the speed all neighbours are getting unless i look for a new ISP which i really do not want to do.... i am so disappointed in BT right now...

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Speeds after exchange upgrade

See this link

Am I on ADSL Max or ADSL2+

You may not have been upgraded yet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

"Keith"

No i have not been upgraded as yet although the exchange has, when trying to contact BT all they could say was infinity was not available to me until 30th September, i am not interested in infinity right now (although it would be nice), i just want the faster speeds that BT says i can get IF i was a new customer as per the speed check ... the same speeds that others have been upgraded to already, i was told technical support would be able to give me a date and time but alas this was not so, they still just kept going on about Infinity... i would be as well to bang my head off a brick wall, over 10 years of service and still cannot get what is supposed to be available.

Just makes me so angry that they will not  give what is supposed to be available, maybe it is the old bthome hub cannot take the speeds i do not know but i am not going to buy another router in case i do decide to change ISP as they will then give me a router for free

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you want to upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2+ when it is available, then call the Customer Options Team on 0800 800 030

If you would like to display your ADSL Statistics here, then one of us may be able to give you an estimate of your speed if you were upgraded.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

"Keith"

DSL Connection    

Link Information

Uptime:    5 days, 3:26:04
Modulation:    G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    448 / 6,208
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]:    3.08 / 12.57
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    20.5 / 48.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    20.0 / 9.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):    TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):    0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 60,506
CRC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 5,491
HEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 4,986
Line Profile:    Interleaved

The point being that no-one seems to be able to comprehend is that the exchange has been upgraded and if i was a new customer joining BT i would get the 20meg speed that is offered but as an existing long term customer i can just  go to he** and back as far as they are concerned -- sorry for ranting but it is so annoying

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

no the upgrade is eventually carried out on all lines but this can take from day to months after an exchange is upgraded as the lines are moved to the new exchange equipment in phases normally overnight if you want to jump that queue then it is a matter of re contracting to do so
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Also with your line attenuation you may see little improvement due to your distance from the exchange
0 Ratings