cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

Speeds not as expected

I'm on a 8 mb package with BT, when I rang them they said I had just under that speed. But when I do speed tests I have around 2 mb speed. Am I wasting my money or is this meant to happen? Postcode is hp23 5rz if that helps.

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 41

Re: Speeds not as expected

HI this is a broadband problem not an infinity problem I will move your post to where you will get more assistance
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 41

Hi again Zacg99,

Sorry to hear that your having problems with your BT Broadband.

You will either be on the ADSLMax (upto 8mbps) service or if your exchange has been BTw 21cn upgraded you maybe on the ADSL2/2+ (upto 12/20mbps) service depending on your line quality and length.

However these upto speeds may not be the speeds you will get as ADSL broadband connections are very dependent on the distance from your property to the exchange and the quality of your line. The further away you are from your local exchange the slower your broadband speed will be.

To enable the community to help you please see the advice below:

Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you, it will go through some checks that are needed for us to help you.

A summary of the checks are:

1a) Is your router/Homehub connected by a BT NTE5 master socket, Adsl Filtered Master Socket or Extension Socket?   Please bear in mind that extension cables and extension sockets can reduce the broadband's performance. If you have an Old LJU master socket then please say.

1b) Have you tried the Test Socket?

2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtester.bt.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] If the other link doesn't work you can try http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  

3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

4) please post adsl line statistics 

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

Don't have a BT Homehub/Voyager?

http://192.168.0.1 for a netgear router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, connection speed

• http://192.168.2.1 for a belkin router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, Data Rate

**Please try and supply all the information requested as it will help find the problem**

cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Highlighted
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 4 of 41

Erm, I am not sure about which type of connection I have, but I have my netgear connected to a box which has two holes, one saying phone and one saying Modem, I have the netgear plugged into modem, then the other end of that little box is plugged into my phone socket.

Speed test results ( I did the 2nd one):  Download Stream (Mbps): 2.91

Upload Stream (Mbps): 0.38

Ping Latency (ms): 49.75

ADSL Line Info:               Download Stream                  Upload Stream

Connection Speed:               3840 kbps                          448 kbps

Line Attenuation:                   40.0 db                              17.0 db

Noise Margin:                          5.9 db                                20.0 db

0 Ratings
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 5 of 41

Also when calling 17070 and pressing 2 I can hear a high pitched noise coming from the actuall phone socket itself

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 41

Thanks,

When you say "a box which has two holes, one saying phone and one saying Modem, I have the netgear plugged into modem, then the other end of that little box is plugged into my phone socket."

Does the box look like this?adslsocket.pngIf it does then it's an Openreach Adsl Filtered Master socket.

With a Line Attenuation of 40dB your line length is approx. 2.9km long. On a line in good condition and with a line Attenuation of 40dB I would have estimated a speed of 6mbps to 6.9mbps on adslmax (upto 8mbps service).

If the socket you have described does not look like the image above then can you please upload a photo of this socket.

Cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 7 of 41

Phone.socket.pngNo this is what it looks like.That cable is plugged into phone socket

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 41

ah ok. That's a microfilter that seperates the broadband and phone signal.

1) Do you have another microfilter at hand to swap over with the previous one. This will check to see if the microfilter has gone dodgy.

2) Is that microfilter with the router plugged into a BTNTE5 master socket or an extension socket?

The master sockets look like this:

mastersockettypes3.png

If it's an extension socket that it's currently connected to then this could be reducing the broadband's performance. Please can you locate your Master Socket and connect the router to that (with a microfilter if needed)

cheers

Try a Search
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

Socket.png

No this is how I have it setup, there is no line on the socket, just a hole and there is no printed openreach or Bt in corner

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 41

is that the socket were the BT line comes in to your house or is there another master socket somewhere else