cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Speeds of 0.08mbits, no support, help!

Hi, 

I am a brand new BT customer (started the contract on the 27th April) and we have had an issue from the start with our broadband slowing from around 10pm until around 9am down to as low as 0.08mbits/s. In other words, it becomes totally unusable. 

I start work (from home) at 8am and it is still running at around 3.0mbits/s, meaning I have to tell people to not contact me for video calls etc until around 10am. At around 10am, it seems to go back up to around 24mbits/s which is what I'd expect for my area.

I have seen posts about capacity issues on exchanges and wonder if this is the same issue? I raised a fault on the 30th April about it and it says it is still ongoing but provides no information on the actual fault.

My real annoyance is that when trying to contact customer support, it keeps bringing me in a circle telling me to 'ask the community' and I cannot get a chat or phone number for BT themselves no matter where I look online. I understand we have a speed guarantee and when I browse to the page about it and how we need to contact BT to claim against it, I click on the 'contact us' button, it brings me back to 'ask the community'. Do I need to raise the speed guarantee claim through the community? Or does anyone have a contact number or any way to contact BT.

I don't want to be one of the usual ranters about how 'I've never experienced this poor customer service before' but the fact is that we switched to BT from Sky, whose customer service was outstanding. We can't even phone or chat to BT and the service being provided is so poor that I cannot actually work from home. To add to the issues, my wife and I are looking after our newborn and for her when she goes to feed them and watch/read something, the Internet doesn't work and our data/phone signal here is terrible, so we've always relied on WiFi.

I'm hoping this will pass when the load on the exchanges drops but is there any form of contact I can get with either someone from BT through here, or if anyone can point me in the right direction so I can at least find out what the issue is and when it is going to be resolved? 

I have the analysis from our line and it shows it as pretty standard but at night all speed and usability just vanishes.

Thanks in advance! 

James

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Speeds of 0.08mbits, no support, help!

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Thanks for the response. Screenshots below:
James048_1-1589795909449.png

James048_2-1589795948740.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Not that it means much, but here is a speed test from BT's wholesale tester from the 9th May at 06:30

James048_0-1589796423541.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

and here is a screenshot of the Ookla test run now (18th may @ 11:09@ from my PC which is wired to the router. I had to tether my PC to my mobile in order to upload this:

James048_0-1589796622354.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

any noise when you do quiet line test?

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection  at present your connection speed is below the expected range

are you using powerline adapters

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Yes we have tried a quite line test and there is no noise. There are no powerline adapters being used but we haven't tried the test socket. I will give it a go today and report back.

How do we contact BT customer services though? When I reported the fault, they acknowledged something was wrong and said an engineer would need to visit but now all options for contacting them have been removed. I want to talk to BT about it and claim against the speed guarantee.

Just as a FYI - we didn't have any of these issues before the lockdown - so I am guessing it could be something to do with load (and would support the capacity issue).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

if it was conegestion that would only affect your download at peak times but your connection and attainable speed is lower that expected range and would not be affected by congestion

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

its exactly the same for me, im done with this stupid company and useless support, im in COMPLETELY the same boat as you, been waiting 2 weeks for official bt support and no help on community.... 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Quick google brings up the number 0800 800 151 for faults, don't see how there can be no support if people haven't tried calling

0 Ratings