Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
texia08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Speedtest confusion

Go to solution

I won't bore with why I got to this test, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of my slow broadband speed.

I got through the test and was then instructed to fill in two data requests..........D/l speed, which was 106 Kbps and IP Profile which was 135 Kbps.

I was then informed that the D/L speed had to be lower than the Ip speed, which it was, but the test  wouldn't have it.

What have I done wrong!!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Speedtest confusion

Go to solution

nothing probably

welcome to the community forum where customers help customers

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) BT Speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
texia08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

A)  asdl  information.  see below

B)  The problem...........Six days ago, I experienced a sudden slow down of b/b speed.  It recovered the next morning and I assumed it wasn't me.  It then collapsed again, and more severely.  Even though I am on an 8Mb service, I have never had more than 1Mg and it averages 0.88Mb.  I live in a village at the limit of landline reception and my neighbours only get 1.5Mg max so I have never expected better.  At present my d/l speed is 117Kbps, which is slower than not having BB altogether.

C) Tests........... I had a wireless setup using a Gateway modem, but I have two computers so it was easy to rule out a computer problem.  I upgraded my BT contract to a bigger capacity and with that came a new bt modem which I installed.  It made no difference, so a faulty modem was ruled out.  I have disconnected all users of phone lines and connected it directly and solely to the bt master skocket.  No difference.  Noise test:ok

I also ran a bt line check and they say everything is ok up to the house.

I have not removed the cover plate from the master socket yet.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 10:19:31
Downstream:6.281 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):5.3 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):35.0 dB / 18.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 50
CRC Events (Down/Up):4266 / 88

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

if you have extension sockets in other rooms then it would eliminate your internal wiring from causing a problem if you connected to the test socket and reposted your stats.

also can you run btspeedtester and post the results - check profile and download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
texia08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Results from new tests.  Ethernet set up and line into Master socket internal socket.

Speedtester results
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
    110 Kbps

0 Kbps    250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 110 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50 Kbps-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7.1 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 01:52:45
Downstream:    6.938 Mbps
Upstream:    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:    0/38
Type:    PPPoA
Modulation:    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:    Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):    6.0 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    35.6 dB / 18.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):    19.9 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):    0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):    132 / 0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

your connection speed has improved but the problem is your profile is rock bottom at 135.  this is probably due to drops in connection whether by the router or you manually resetting the router to try and get a better speed.

you now need to stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days maybe sooner and your profile should rise back to normal automatically.  if you get to 3+ days and still at 135 profile then come back

0 Ratings
texia08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Ok.

I will revert at a later date under the same topic heading.

However, this problem started out of the blue with my old router and no adjustments made to it's settings.

I checked my speed on-line with Broardband Speed Checker and the speed indicated was 117Mp/s and came down to 95.

But, you are right, ther speed is up to 117 again and, at the last test, was 125Mb/s.

I think i will re-seat all the line connectors and see what happens.

Thanks for the help, so far, but my original query still remains, Why did I get a problem with the bt speed test when I answered the questions to D/l readings and IP score. The questions have not reappeared during all the speedtesting you requested that I carry out?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

a download speed of 106 is lower than a profile of 135 and that is what you would expect.  your profile of 135 is due to your connection droping and at one point must have been very low 256kb or lower to get the 135 profile.  this will recover automatically but it needs a stable connection with no resets/disconnections for 3/5 days maybe even sooner

this will show profile for your conenction speed 

check profile

0 Ratings
texia08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
I'm back again after 6 days of no improvement Here's the asdl data D/L speed still 0.117/0.125 Mps. u/l 335 ADSL Line Status Connection Information Line state: Connected Connection time: 6 days, 05:55:32 Downstream: 7.031 Mbps Upstream: 448 Kbps ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Fast Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.0 dB / 21.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 35.5 dB / 18.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.2 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 7 CRC Events (Down/Up): 8213 / 79 My problem must surely be the line in. How do I speak to a human at BT?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

you have a 7mb connection speed and stats look ok.  can you run btspeedtester and post the results - hopefully it will work and show correct results

0 Ratings