cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffG
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Spell Checker - icon and spell check facility disappeared from toolbar in Compose of BTYahoo web

I am dealing with Level 2 BTYahoo email support because in the compose page of webmail, the ABC spellcheck icon has disappeared from the toolbar which is at the bottom of the message being created.

Can you help/explain?

Jeff

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Spell Checker - icon and spell check facility disappeared from toolbar in Compose of BTYahoo web

@JeffG

If you are on the BT Yahoo mail services then this is using the Yahoo mail platform.

From what I can see Yahoo mail no longer has a built in spell checker - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3593.html

If you are using webmail, then your browser may have a spell checker built in that will highlight words spelt incorrectly and give you suggestion if left right clicking that work. For example Google Chrome.

You can also use Email Client software, such as Outlook or Thunderbird to name a few, to handle your emails as these also have a built in spell checker.

I'm not on the BT Yahoo platform, so unfortunately can't confirm the above.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: Spell Checker - icon and spell check facility disappeared from toolbar in Compose of BTYahoo web

I don't use webmail but have just had a quick look, there is no spellchecker option on the BTYahoo platform.

0 Ratings
JeffG
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Do you mean that you see no ABC icon in Compose? But there was, literally a few weeks ago. I used it daily. I need to find out from BT and/or Yahoo whether and if so why it has been removed. Do you know any BT staff in this group who will know?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Yahoo seem to be making a number of unannounced unilateral changes that BT have no knowledge of or control over. If a spell checker is that important to you, why not use a mail client with one built in and reap the other benefits of using a mail client at the same time.

0 Ratings
JeffG
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks. By chance I have just had a call from BT Level 2 Technical support, Ronny, who seemed quite experienced and senior, to me, stating that many customers have raised this issue. They say that the spell check icon in BT Yahoo webmail-compose disappeared due to a software programming error during a recent upgrade and BT engineers are working to reintroduce the icon "within the next two months" i.e. I assume by the end of June 2017. He seemed to be saying that this is a BT error and not an error by Yahoo.

0 Ratings
Simon-D
Retired BT Expert
Message 7 of 9

I think the Advisor must have been confused, the spell checker was removed by Yahoo and is unlikely to be coming back, the reason for the removal is that all modern browsers include spell checking so usage had become very low, I guess they decided the effort to maintain  it wasn't worth the value customers found in it.

Sorry I can't be more positive on this one.

Simon.

0 Ratings
Withymaid
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I don't mind not having a spell checker, my spelling is pretty good but what I am finding since that option disappeared is that I constantly get red lines under words that I know are spelt correctly. I always check the dictionary when they come up. It seems to me if there is an American spelling which is different to ours a red line appears.

It is very frustrating as I can find no way of preventing this happening.

Any suggestions please ?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Ignore it?  It won't be visible to the recipient.  Or, better still, don't use webmail, use a proper mail client.

0 Ratings