cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Russtyman43
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Spoke to soon re/Noise margin back to 27db

All was fine from Friday good sync rate of 15323 profile of 13000 ,I was told that switching my router off overnight would have not detrimental affects on my noise margin.I was telephoned Sunday evening to say it was all sorted.

So I switched off last night before I went to work as I always do as I do not like to leave anything electrical on when i`m not in the property,arrived home this morning turned on my router and found this.

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:00:46:17
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 4543 Kbps 912 Kbps
Noise Margin 27.4 dB 5.8 dB
Line Attenuation 33.0 dB 15.7 dB
Output Power 22.1 dBm 12.1 dBm
MSGC (number in overhead channel data) 59 14
B (number of bytes in Mux Frame) 141 114
M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame) 1 1
T (Mux Frames over sync bytes) 1 1
R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame) 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length) 0.9930 4.0000
L (number of bits in PMD Frame) 1144 230
D (interleaver depth) 1 1
Delay 0 msec 1 msec
Super Frames 157818 157816
Super Frame Errors 0 9
RS Words 0 0
RS Correctable Errors 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
ES Errors 0 0

Correct me if I am wrong but isn`t that just a tad aggressive action by DLM  as these were my stats on Sunday at 9-00am

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:00:52:42
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 15323 Kbps 810 Kbps
Noise Margin 6.4 dB 5.9 dB
Line Attenuation 33.0 dB 15.7 dB
Output Power 23.3 dBm 12.3 dBm

how is it that one single powered off sync event with 12 hours until I power on again can cause this.

I have read about the way line management works and was led to believe that noise margin should be increased in increments of 3db not 19db .Any help and explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Russell

I used to be nosy, but then I lost my sense of smell.
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Spoke to soon re/Noise margin back to 27db

Im wondering if at the point you turned you router back on there was some interference on your line and so the exchange pushed the noise margin up

0 Ratings
Russtyman43
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

My line has always been quiet during the day have a few dropped tones at night but no more than usual. I have seem some really grotty DMT graphs of other peoples with huge gaps in tone lasting all day and night sometimes over 50 but their line still seems to manage fine syncing between 14000 and 16000kbs.Many others on 21cn seem to be having the same line management problems I am. One noise spike in a day does not require or justify a 19db rise in noise margin,nor does it indicate that line will be noisy for the remaining part of the day,but who am I to say I am only paying for the service.

Moan finished

Russ

0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

yeah I understand, there does seem to be an awful lot of issues around 21CN. I unfortunately dont get to experience them because BT somehow takes 4.3KM to cover the 700M distance to my exchange resulting in a 2Mbps connection. The joys of Digital Britain Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Russtyman43
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Sweeny47

I can understand why someone like yourself would  be happy to have a 4543 sync which strangely seems to be just 1 kbps under a 4000 profile, and I should be grateful to have what I am getting,up to last year my line was faultless I seem to remember only having 2 re/syncs in the whole 12 months on up to 8 meg and both of those were due to a storm. Just cannot see why the line management system has to be so aggressive I would not mind a fixed Snr of 9db which gives me a 12000 sync and the occasional re/sync due to noise would not bother me in the slightest .Other providers do this why can`t BT.

Russ

0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

"because of the costs involved" is a likely generic answer hehe. It does seem very aggressive you just have to hope its an error and not just working as intended. Good luck anyway, hopefully someone with some knowledge will be able to help you out.

0 Ratings
Russtyman43
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Just a little update on my post.Today at about 11am router re/synced and got this.

47iAF99960BF582A05D

14973 sync thats fine .A little question for anyone who cares to answer I am using a Voyager 2110 router would you recommend changing that for something else I also have a Netgear DG834gt in storage with the latest DGteam firmware should I swap for that.

Russ

0 Ratings
Russtyman43
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Just an update to how things are progressing with my problem so far so good fingers crossedSmiley Very Happy

These are my stats today any comments on how they look,

54iAB02AB558E1D67B9

Thanks

Russ

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 17

Tad surprised at your bitswap totals .... but your dmt graph is loads better than mine at 58db loop loss.

I use the same setup, have done for ages ....(netgear gt & dgt)

You could do with a touch more interleave, to lessen the HECS

Have you tried negotiating a trellis modulation with your dslam, mine won't, yours may.

0 Ratings
Russtyman43
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Hi Rodgerb

When I have my voyager 2110 connected it shows trellis modulation enabled and I`m petty sure it is also enabled on the netgear but I will check that later on just to be sureSmiley Wink

To be honest whilst downloading and browsing can`t say that I have noticed the errors causing any lag,even when playing on xbox live(Bit to old to be playing but who cares,) seems to be pretty much perfect.Not that sure routerstats is reporting the errors correctly.

0 Ratings