cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony_w
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Staggering Incompetence.

I recently moved to a new build property and waited an inordinate amount of time for openreach to get around to connecting up the landline. That being done I ask my current isp (sky) to sort a fibre connection for me which apparantly they are unable to do despite BT being able to offer me Infinity 2. SO I shrug my shoulders and on the 1st April ordered Infinity 2 via BT's website.

Everything goes through and I get emails for this that and the other and a connection date of the 15th April. On Wednesday 13th I get an email reminding me that my router will be arriving the next day and I notice an entirely different postcode on the email that in no way relates to my postcode. I ring and explain the situation and the BT person assures me they can rectify this just by changing my address and not to worry because everything is still a go for the 15th.

Thursday and I get another call saying that my order needs to be cancelled because I gave them the wrong address. I explain that I gave the right address (because why would I give a different address?) and inexplicably they were the ones who changed it / made an input error ...whatever they did. Hilariously (or it would be if I were not so annoyed) whilst I am on the phone to this chap my new BT router arrives ....which minutes before I had been told would definitely not be arriving because it was going to the 'wrong address'.

I get told he needs to pass the 'new' order to another team and he can't do that there and then for me because they have a twenty four hour lead - in! Someone will ring me back tomorrow (today). No one has rang. If they do ring now I fully expect that nothing can 'progress' until Monday. If no-one contacts me (the most likely scenario judging by experience so far) then I am left ringing again and explaining the whole saga to another three or four different people who need to pass me on to someone else.

It blows my mind that BT mess up (I don't mind that so much we all make mistakes), and yet at no time do they try to mitigate the situation by making me feel like they are doing anything to push this through quickly so I am not inconvenienced any more than I have been. Basically I have been told to wait until they get around to dealing with it.

This is exactly why BT and Openreach have no business having the monopoly they have. If anyone else could give me a fibre connection I would be dealing with them as a matter of principle. I just want you connect me to fibre, I want you to get on with it and I am happy to pay for it. I don't understand why you can't just make it happen and treat me as a valued customer rather than an inconvenience.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Staggering Incompetence.

BT has no monopoly as they are just like Sky reliant on Openreach and BT Wholesale to provide either fibre or copper services BT gets no preferential service from Openreach under rules laid down by OFCOM
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 3 of 7

Hi @Tony_w,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your order. I would like to help to put things right. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Tony_w
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

That may well be so .....and in my frustration I may have been prone to hyperbole .....HOWEVER they don't get a pass for their seeming indifference to customer service. They make a mistake they ought to at least keep me informed as to how they intend to fix it rather than leave me hanging with absolutely no idea what is happening. 'Someone will ring you tomorrow' which seems to be the stock answer simply does not cut it. I have no idea if this 'new order' is even current. The My BT website says I have one cancelled order and no current orders.

Do I ring and start again with a fresh order, will that fail because there is indeed an order current? I am the customer and I don't have a clue what is going on. That is simply inexcusable. Systems and procedures of any company ought to facilitate a fast, efficient service for the customer. If the customer is required to work around  and fit in with the systems and procedures then it is back to front don't you think?

Then I get a text asking about my experience. Will I rate BT to my friends and family? You can be sure I will.

Tags (1)
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

I suggest you take up the offer of assistance from the moderator. They will resolve your problem and keep you informed.

0 Ratings
Tony_w
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I have done so ......and would like to make it clear that my above reply was to the call out on my silly monopoly quip and not to the cm who has kindly offered assistance.

I am not  as grumpy as my posts thus far make me appear .... just a tad frustrated. Hopefully my future posts will reflect that! 😉

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

After you send the email you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help all of whom consider their problem a priority hence why mods reply in order emails are received. At present the mods are busy with referrals so it can take 5/7 working days before mods get back to you but they will contact you by phone/email and then take personal responsibility until resolved 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings