cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Standard "when can I get fibre?" post, with a less common twist...

So here's the situation - I live on a RAF camp so everybody knows everybody else. Also, with fibre being one of the current 'hot topics' of the camp, everybody knows what cabs serve which streets. Additionally, as my trade encompasses telecommunications; I know people who know people (Openreach engineers - they tend to get a lot of ex-RAF from my trade) who know when fibre is going live on which cabs.

So here's my problem, my next door neighbour can get fibre and on the other side my next door but 1 neighbour can also get fibre. In fact everyone I know on our little estate can get it, and I know that they're on the same cab.

I hear you say - "the lines have probably all been taken up". The problem is, I knew ahead of most when the cab was going live with fibre and was checking against my property address all that day, all the next day and all the day after with no joy. Throughout this time, people were posting to our closed Facebook group that, "wow, I've just ordered BT Inifinity". So I know that the lines weren't taken up over the period that I was practically carrying out a DOS attact on the BT Infinity Checker site.

I did call BT Customer Services by the way, and I appreciate that they must get the same call every 10 minutes from people that THINK they know what cab they're on and THINK they were first in line to order. But the party line of "you're maybe on a different cab" or "all the lines could have gone" just don't wash when I know what I know.

Additionally, if I do a check against my immediate neighbour's (who can get fibre, but don't yet have it), I am given the options to place orders for all the flavours of fibre BT offer - so it makes no sense that I can't get it when others out of my cab aren't taking advantage of it.

If you've got this far down then thanks for taking the time, there's not much left I promise! My questions are, what gives? How come others hanging off the cab are getting the BT Infinity love, during and after my 3 days of repetitively typing my postcode and house number into the checker? Why is it only affecting me and my neighbour? Who can I speak to at BT or Openreach about this who might have a more definitive answer rather than maybes and could haves? Am I being penalised because the previous occupiers might not have had a landline, and we don't yet as I was hanging off till the fibre roll-out was done?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Standard "when can I get fibre?" post, with a less common twist...

The postcode checker is very hit and miss. If you have a BT line use your phone number, if not contact your current provider as they may be able to offer you FTTC services.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

as already said if you have a bt phoneline then enter your number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

if not Bt number then you need to take it up with your ISP and mods will not be able to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 17

@awittyusername wrote:

Am I being penalised because the previous occupiers might not have had a landline, and we don't yet as I was hanging off till the fibre roll-out was done?

@ @pippincp & @gg30340  & @imjolly                   

If I am reading the above correctly the OP does not have a landline

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

@dfenceman wrote:

@awittyusername wrote:

Am I being penalised because the previous occupiers might not have had a landline, and we don't yet as I was hanging off till the fibre roll-out was done?

@ @pippincp & @gg30340  & @imjolly                   

If I am reading the above correctly the OP does not have a landline

if you don't have a landline then you don't have broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

I never said he did have a land line. I read his problem as being that he can not order Infinity because his house is not on the data base which prevents placing an order.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 17

Hi Guys,

If the OP doesn't have a landline, then this means that his address isn't connected to the Openreach network and the checker is unable to tell if Infinity is available at his address. To be able to say for sure if the service is available he would need a Telephone service installed. 

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your input and thanks for highlighting this to the mods.

PaddyB - that's correct, I do not yet have a landline. All the houses *should* be plumbed in but we only moved in in Feb and held off on getting one till fibre came to our part of the camp, but it seems that the website and the sales team only have low level info in helping to decide what products they can sell to whom, so we're unable to order an Infinity package through them.

From reading your reply then, am I right in understanding that I can't order Infinity and a landline at the same time simply because the checker that the website and sales team use has no info for my property? And if this is the case, do I first need to order a basic landline and once it is connected, then order Infinity? Or, is there another team I can contact or who can contact me so that I can order both at the same time?

My worry is that in purchasing a landline and Infinity individually, I may miss out on any offers currently available.

To all, thanks again for your time 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 17

Hi awittyusername,

It may be the case the orders need to be placed separately but if you send in your details we'll look into this further. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings