Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Youviewuser
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Start of recorded programmes missing

I upgraded from BT Vision to BT YouView this week.

The box & service seem pretty good but there seems to be a significant problem with programme recordings getting clipped. Most of the recordings I made in the first couple of days had their starts missing. More recent recordings seem better but there are still a couple with missing starts.

You can catch up on many programmes via the reverse EPG but by no means all. (And don't get me started about 4OD's over 3 min of pre-roll ads, which is a real barrier to trying out new programmes.)

Is this a common problem or do I have a dodgy box?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Start of recorded programmes missing

Its a common problem that virtually all  recorders that use the Accurate Recording system experience.

You will find that some channels are much more reliable than others. The BBC 1 HD and BBC HD channels are normally very accurate. The other channels performance vary considerably. I thinlk its down to how they handle and adapt to changes in their schedule as programs overun. Its improving but is still far from perfect. 

Most recorders allow padding of recordings to occur and indeed manual recordings to be scheduled. - Youview don't .

0 Ratings
Youviewuser
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure the problems are due to rescheduling - one clipped recording was of the 6pm BBC news, which I'm pretty sure went out on time. That was definitely a problem with the old box as the EPG was a bit slow to update if there were changes eg the Panorama special last week.

I must admit most of the recent recordings have been very accurate - starting right before the prog starts. You'd have thought the commercial channels wanted some ads recorded though!

Let's hope they sort it out, or at least provide the option to add minutes like the old box did.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Sjf9712
Message 4 of 4

The most annoying thing of youview box I have. Channel 5 seem to be worst! 

Can't understand why Youview didn't write padding/buffer into their scripts. Seems logical when they are not accountable for Programme Delivery, but their customers will moan at them because of it!

0 Ratings