Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DougMacp
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Static IP address?

Go to solution

Hi, I'm using the home hub 2 and would ideally like to give both pc's static ip addresses - the hubs advanced settings seem to allow me to do this ('advanced settings/home network/devices') then mark yes at 'always use this same ip address'. Yet,it's unclear if this has been successful and I read elsewhere that you must be a business broadband customer to be allowed static IP's. BT are no help so hoping this Forum can clarify.

Thanks all.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
JacobB
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Static IP address?

Go to solution

Yes as a user of Business broadband, 

You can NOT get static on residential. Only on Business. 

Thanks.

JacobB
0 Ratings
DougMacp
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks Jacob - I thought so, I'll try using Dyn DNS.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JacobB
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Your welcome. Sorry i couldn't been off more use.! 

Thank's

JacobB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
You have two different IP addresses to consider here. When the Home Hub connects to the internet, it is assigned a dynamic IP address. There is no way to make it fixed on BT residential broadband. The home computers that connect to the hub are on a local private network. You can choose either static or dynamic addresses for these.

The hub acts as a gateway between your private network and the internet. To the outside world, all your PCs appear to have the same IP address - that of the hub. The hub keeps track of all outgoing connections and routes replies back to the originator of the connection.

If you want to accept incoming connections, you need a service such as DynDNS so that people can find your current IP address, and configure the hub to route incoming traffic to the right PC.
cookies
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

all devices connecting to a bt hh is given its own ip address, on domestic network, you have a possible 234 ip address you can be given, the hubs ip address is 192.168.1.254, it will assign i.ps to devices, so if you have say... a pc a laptop and an xbox 360, the i.ps of the devices will all be unique to each item, say the pc wcould be 192.168.1.34, laptop could be 192.168.1.35 and the xbox could be 192.168.1.50 

the option to always use this ip address in the hub manager, its usually more for the likes of the xbox 360, since xboxes have a habit of resetting and changing ip during match joining for online gaming and kicks users out of xbox live sometimes, 

business customers of bt, can have so many more, 

you can assign your 2 p.c static ip's in the network adapters if you wanted to, but i dont see the need if you have just two, unless your having ltd/no connectivity issues with vista. 

@Ectophile wrote:
You have two different IP addresses to consider here. When the Home Hub connects to the internet, it is assigned a dynamic IP address. There is no way to make it fixed on BT residential broadband. The home computers that connect to the hub are on a local private network. You can choose either static or dynamic addresses for these.

The hub acts as a gateway between your private network and the internet. To the outside world, all your PCs appear to have the same IP address - that of the hub. The hub keeps track of all outgoing connections and routes replies back to the originator of the connection.

If you want to accept incoming connections, you need a service such as DynDNS so that people can find your current IP address, and configure the hub to route incoming traffic to the right PC.

0 Ratings
DougMacp
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies,folks - it was for a program called Networx which allows me to monitor the internet usage on both pc's. I've installed it on both pcs and set it to synch so I can see totals for all my households 4 windows user accounts internet traffic on either pc. (It allows me to discount the LAN traffic within the 2 devices). The program works perfectly but sometimes they don't 'synch' the data totals immediately - although I notice that they do catch-up after a couple of hours.The networx forum says the best way to get the machines to notice each other immediately is to assign static ip addresses to the machines, then i can set Networx to synch between the 2 IPs.(Don't worry,I would leave the DNS gateway for the hub as 192.168.1.254).

The program is summarising correctly - just taking maybe a couple of hours to update and for both programs to have the exact same usage details, so I have no urgent reason to assign static IPs, but are you saying it would be possible to assign static IPs to the devices behind the router? How would this be done? Via the hub or via net.connection settings within Windows itself?....... 

0 Ratings
submarinex1
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

on my old router i gave my pc and xbox both static ips in the router settings,sounds like screen you said about, then put these into network settings for each device so they always used it. on xbox this allowed me to give it dmz and on pc some things liked ports being open so fixed ip made that simpler to.

i have not done it yet since the UNnp works on the bt router which on the belkin didnt seem to work.

the good way about this is that even if your internet ip changed your kit would carry on without having to change anything.

0 Ratings