Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abdul201588
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Static IP on residential line?

Go to solution

Hello, I currently running a business from home and I have a private server that is hosted with OVH. I connect my VPS via VPN to my network. Now, the issue that I'm facing is everytime I restart the router or the router craps itself, forcing me to restart it. Making me reconfigure my VPN server and Change my DNS records with the new IP address. I don't want to keep on changing the settings. I wanted to know if there is an extra fee for this? Also, how much would it cost if I would change plans to bt business?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Static IP on residential line?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

BT Residential do not offer static IP adresses.,

You would have to move to a BT Business connection to get a static IP.

As it is, you should not be running a business on a residential line, as its against BTs T&Cs.

You also cannot claim any compensation for loss of business, on a residential account.

0 Ratings
Abdul201588
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Good Morning, 

Thanks for the reply. Well, That is the reason why I got a VPS. Knowing that SMTP traffic and web traffic is not allowed on residential lines, I mode everything onto the VPS. Only thing that is running at home is a VPN server which is connected to the VPS. 

How much do BT Business backages cost? are they the same price?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

See https://business.bt.com/products/broadband/

You also will get a reliable e-mail system, as I see you have posted about this issue before.

0 Ratings
Abdul201588
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Yes. I did. I'll take a look. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Abdul201588 wrote:

Hello, I currently running a business from home and I have a private server that is hosted with OVH. I connect my VPS via VPN to my network. Now, the issue that I'm facing is everytime I restart the router or the router craps itself, forcing me to restart it. Making me reconfigure my VPN server and Change my DNS records with the new IP address. I don't want to keep on changing the settings. I wanted to know if there is an extra fee for this? Also, how much would it cost if I would change plans to bt business?

Thanks.

Sounds like you need Dynamic DNS. there are a number of providers available, some free but with catches and some charge a modest fee, I think no-ip are currently charging something like £40 for 2 years. Google "Dynamic DNS"

0 Ratings
Abdul201588
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Everything is currently hosted on my VPS (Which has a static IP). It's not a problem to be honset. 

0 Ratings