Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 81 of 132

Re: Staying Logged In?

==================================================================

As you are no doubt aware and hopefully you already do back ups of the important stuff on your computer so it begs the question, why would you not do this with your emails and instead entrust somebody else, ie BT to store your emails. 

===================================================================

I actually do a 'back up' using G Mail (Yes, I know, another online server!). I use G Mail as  POP3 service where it regulary sucks up my BT account and stores it in a G Mail address for me. I suppose if both BT & G Mail go down, we're all f**ked!
0 Ratings
prm1
Contributor
Message 82 of 132

Ok ... having read lots of the gripes above - can anyone explain this -

I am the primary BT account holder and my email session constantly times out - however, the email address that I set up for a family member will remain as an active session for hours at a time.  Not only is she not using it but she hasn't even used her computer.  There are (random) times when she will have to go through the login process again, but generally she can return to the computer and the session is still running.

As for BT protecting us all from ourselves by logging us out - please just give us a few options, my computer is set to go into 'sleep mode' after a period that I have decided - I don't need to let microsoft make that decision for me!

Stephen5000
Expert
Message 83 of 132

========================================================================

I am the primary BT account holder and my email session constantly times out - however, the email address that I set up for a family member will remain as an active session for hours at a time.

========================================================================

If you ever find out whatever elixur of life is supporting your secondary address, please can you post? I too have both types, and I get kicked off both at 20 minute intervals 😞

0 Ratings
prm1
Contributor
Message 84 of 132

===============================================================

I am the primary BT account holder and my email session constantly times out - however, the email address that I set up for a family member will remain as an active session for hours at a time.

===============================================================

If you ever find out whatever elixur of life is supporting your secondary address, please can you post? I too have both types, and I get kicked off both at 20 minute intervals Smiley Sad

==>

I shall certainly bottle it and sell it onto all!

However,  I suspect she succeeds where others fail because she is a witch Smiley LOL

Merry xmas

prm1
Contributor
Message 85 of 132

Has anyone plagued by this "timing out" ever tried using 'png -t' from the command prompt?

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 86 of 132

======================================================================

Has anyone plagued by this "timing out" ever tried using 'png -t' from the command prompt?

======================================================================

What would that acheive?

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 87 of 132

@prm1 wrote:

I moved to Thunderbird because of this time out situation & now think T.Bird is far better.

But would you please explain your idea

Wherer is png-t prompt?

0 Ratings
prm1
Contributor
Message 88 of 132

Firstly - apologies ... there was a typo in my last post it is "ping -t" not "png"

I suggest anyone thinking of using it googles the command to get a full explanation.

I used to use it when working on data migrations for Local Authorities if the 'timeout' setting for an ISDN line connection was set ridiculously short, and by short I mean c.5 minutes.  The command (fired from the command or dos prompt) simply pings the server you're aiming at every second with 32 bytes of data and will recieve a reply.

The web address can be used - try it with ping -t bbc.co.uk  ... to stop the command use "ctrl c". 

I don't know if BT can do anything to stop the ping - I know the Local Authorities couldn't and were happy to adjust the timeout period for us when they realised it was counter productive.

One of the 'gurus' on here may be able to offer some advice

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 89 of 132

@prm1 wrote:

Firstly - apologies ... there was a typo in my last post it is "ping -t" not "png"

I suggest anyone thinking of using it googles the command to get a full explanation.

I used to use it when working on data migrations for Local Authorities if the 'timeout' setting for an ISDN line connection was set ridiculously short, and by short I mean c.5 minutes.  The command (fired from the command or dos prompt) simply pings the server you're aiming at every second with 32 bytes of data and will recieve a reply.

The web address can be used - try it with ping -t bbc.co.uk  ... to stop the command use "ctrl c". 

I don't know if BT can do anything to stop the ping - I know the Local Authorities couldn't and were happy to adjust the timeout period for us when they realised it was counter productive.

One of the 'gurus' on here may be able to offer some advice

Think it is far simpler to switch to Thunderbird!

Gets rid of the time out problem & has more facilities than BT Yahoo mail

Try it & see

0 Ratings
Lloydy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 90 of 132

yes but per the thread for those that want to use a web only method that doesn't work. 

Today it's timed out on me whilst I was using it and then didn't time out at all in the hour and a half I was chasing the kids round the house trying to get some lunch in them.

0 Ratings