cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petewright
Message 1 of 10

Still cant get Infinity, can anyone help?

Hi all,

I have been trying to get infinity for absolutely ages. My exchange - Trafford, which is fibre enabled and ready for orders since March and my postcode: m50 3bb NV Buildings should be enabled buts it not...

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid=S351604JNil

Even using this ^^ It shows 100% of postcodes enabled at this exchanged and FTTC enabled but BT still say I can't get it. Phase 7b

Sky actually accepted my order saying I could get it then rang me at a later date saying I couldn't get it.

I dont really understand whether it is a glitch or I just can't get it I dont know. After numerous calls to BT they still dont know when it will be available. Can anyone shed some light whether they've experienced similar stories?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Still cant get Infinity, can anyone help?

when an exchange goes live not every cabinet is activated to start with all you can do is wait

Within an exchange area there will be some customers who can't get BT Infinity. There are several reasons why this could be the case:

Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet.

Our availability checker at www.bt.com/infinity has the latest detail about what speed your line can provide.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Is there any way to find out which of those might be the problem?

Or is it just a case of waiting and checking the website every so often.

It's frustrating when you get all the post and emails saying you can now get infinity only to be told the next day you can't.  I'm still not sure if I ever will.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

you can only keep using the checker there are many additional reasons those those posted such as lack of suitable mains power services lack of suitable space to install the extra cabinet
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

Sounds like you have lost out in the cabinet lottery.

Unsure where that Google data comes from but it is inaccurate as the only Exchanges that have all of their cabinets upgraded is a couple of places in Northern Ireland, Belfast and somewhere else, can't remember where but that is only because the Northern Ireland Government paid BT Northern Ireland (there is no Openreach there) to do it.

Don't feel left out though, on average less than half of the cabinets on any single exchange are connected to a RDSLAM when they cover that area. Nine times out of ten its usually because that cabinet is not economically viable, just take a drive around any industrial estate and see if the cabinets there have been upgraded, more often than not they won't have been because most large businesses will have Private Wire Circuits and Ethernet Data Services, therefore BT won't spend upwards of £50,000 installing a RDSLAM there as they know it won't have a big uptake.

0 Ratings
petewright
Message 6 of 10

I understand what you are all saying but in my opinion it just doesn't make logical sense from BT's perspective.

The area I'm in is called "Media City UK" where the BBC + ITV and hundreds of businesses are located yet we only 4mb available to us!? Crazy! It is right opposite the BBC studios, madness :(. Yet Samknows and every other site says its available.
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

'I understand what you are all saying but in my opinion it just doesn't make logical sense from BT's perspective.

The area I'm in is called "Media City UK" where the BBC + ITV and hundreds of businesses are located yet we only 4mb available to us!? Crazy! It is right opposite the BBC studios, madness :smileysad:. Yet Samknows and every other site says its available.'

I bet you a million quid the BBC studio's and more than 90% of those other businesses will have their own Private Wire Circuit Networks and Ethernet Data Lines just like I mentioned above. Therefore it makes perfect sense for BT not to spend upwards of £50,000 installing a FTTC there because they won't make back their money. You have to remind yourself, the BT Group plc are a business with share holders to answer to, they are not a social service and are under no service obligation to provide high speed broadband to anyone.

0 Ratings
petewright
Message 8 of 10

very true
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

All you can do mate is wait until the initial roll out is completed in December 2014 as Openreach have said they will review the places missed out in phase one.

It sucks big time I know, I am myself am stuck on 4mbps whereas my mate who live almost two miles further from the exchange than I do gets 76mbps and it costs him £2 less a month?

No use worrying about it though, if it was that important I would either move to a PCP that is FTTC enabled or to a Cabled area.

0 Ratings
M87davey
Message 10 of 10

6 years on and nothing seems to have changed?

I've just moved into the NV buildings but been told ill get 7.5mb at most which i really dont want to go for, BT checker is saying FTTP is available but this doesn't seem to be the case.

the open reach site is saying "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now." "This means you may not be able to order fibre today but we're working to increase capacity. Please check back for an update."

can anyone confirm if anyone here has managed to get this anything other than normal adsl?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings