cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drmrbrewer
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Still getting mail addressed to previous owner eight years on... now becoming suspicious

Firstly, I've already contacted BT Customer Services about this issue, but as usual they were completely unhelpful and did not seem to understand the issue or make any particular effort to understand why we think it's an issue. Their advice was simply to ignore the problem, which doesn't appear to be sound advice.

We moved into our current house over eight years ago. As is usual, we had the previous owners' address and willingly forwarded on mail addressed to them. But, even after around four years of doing this, we were still getting BT mail addressed to them, at our address. Towards the end of this period, we started adding messages on the forwarded mail to the effect that we'd *really* appreciate them updating their account details, becoming ever more impatient. The mail appeared to be formal account-related mail rather than just promotional mail.

After about four years we tried a different approach, and started simply returning to sender (BT), stating clearly on the mail that the addressee hadn't lived at this address for years, in the hope that BT would look into it and update their records.

Just before Christmas we received yet more BT mail for the previous owner, and this time we opened it by mistake. It clearly related to a new order for an new or updated contract, and furthermore it referred to delivery of new broadband equipment. So, we thought, if no equipment arrives then we should be more suspicious, because the account is clearly still linked to our address, so the equipment should be delivered there too. If not, then it appears that it's not just a case of overlooking an address change (for eight years), but perhaps a deliberate use of a previous address for the account whilst carefully arranging use of another address for the delivery.

Sure enough, no equipment arrived. And more recently I've had two text messages from BT, of the type that asks for feedback about a recent contact. But I have made no contact with BT recently. So, who has been contacting BT about our account?  We do wonder whether the continued use of our address is for nefarious reasons and not just a simple mistake... they've been forwarded mail for years without updating the address on their BT account.

I was hoping that BT Customer Services would have been interested in ensuring that all details on all accounts are correct, but they seemed completely disinterested, simply saying that I should ignore these letters and that the text messages must have been in error.

I wonder someone might be able to help.  Probably it will require a forum mod to step in, so that it can be looked into behind the scenes.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Still getting mail addressed to previous owner eight years on... now becoming suspicious

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
drmrbrewer
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: Still getting mail addressed to previous owner eight years on... now becoming suspicious

Thanks.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 4 of 5

Hi @drmrbrewer,

I'll be able to help stop that unwanted mail. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
drmrbrewer
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

@PaddyB sent as requested.

0 Ratings