Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Still no BT Sport

Go to solution

Posted here about a month or so ago & been going through a very torturious proces with BT involving an upgrade to my 5½ year old Vision box & hub 2. This process was trigered after BBC iPlayer ceased to work after a Vision software upgrade last year, the non availability of HD chanels on Vision & ultimately the dissapearance of my BT sport & ESPN which I used to get through the Vision box.

Intitially I upgraded my 5½ year old Vision equipment to the latest Youview box & Hub 4 but still no sport. Then I'm told I need BT Infinity to get Sport through Youview which I wasn’t even aware was available in my area. So I upgrade to a new contract on Infinity with a new hub 5; engineer connects everything up & all working fine. I wait 10 days for BT Sport to activate & the chanels to appear on my Youview box but selecting the chanels runs through a loading screen which then states I need to set up BT sport on “MY BT”. I log onto “MY BT” & go through the set up process but only to get the message “you already have BT Sport”. So I ring the 0800 number on the screen, get transferred & finally answer some questions. I then spend a long, very long time on hold while it’s “sorted out” only to be told that I cant get BT Sport through Youview as my exchange (Diss Norfolk) doesn’t have Multicast & is not scheduled to get it! Then (very appologetically at least) I’m told that if I want BT sport I have to go back to copper wire & Vision which is where all this started out. It seems I may have gone through a month of additional cost, upheaval & agro trying to sort this out, all for nothing!

If my exchange has Infinity but does not have multicast (what is it anyway?), how do all upgrading/new Infinity & BT TV customers being connected through the Diss exchange, using the latest hub 5 & Youview box get BT sport, ESPN & all the extra chanels BT bang on about?

I’m pleased to have Infinity & don’t wan’t to go back to the slower speed of copper wire but can some one please tell me if what I’ve been told is correct, explain what BT is doing about it & if there is a solution in the foreseable future?

Many thanks in anticipation!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Still no BT Sport

Go to solution

Enter your phone number in the BT Broadband Availability Checker.

Under Other Offerings does it list Fibre Multicast, Copper Multicast, both, or neither? Infinity needs the Fibre Multicast service in order to receive the full set of extra TV channels over broadband.

An example.

BTTV-Multicast-Checker.jpg

If Fibre Multicast is not available for your line yet it seems in certain circumstances it is possible for BT to activate the Copper Multicast service (if available) on an Infinity line while waiting for the Fibre Multicast service to become available. There should be no need to revert to copper broadband.

Read through this thread.  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/BT-Extra-Channels/td-p/1260461

If that can't be done and you wanted to revert to using the Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) signal via the TV aerial for BT Sport then that would require reverting back to a BT Vision+ box and an active viewing card. Again there is no need to be on copper broadband for this to work. However, I expect that BT would be very reluctant to offer this as an option as they are generally keen to migrate customers off the old DTT delivery method and onto multicast. They stopped issuing new viewing card subscriptions in January. 

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@El-Gringo wrote:
I then spend a long, very long time on hold while it’s “sorted out” only to be told that I cant get BT Sport through Youview as my exchange (Diss Norfolk) doesn’t have Multicast & is not scheduled to get it!

It does seem very difficult to get any information about the scheduled roll-out of multicast services at particular locations. It usually happens around the same time as Infinity roll-out, but not always. Plenty of other customers have posted about this problem.

When they said your exchange is not scheduled to get multicast they might have just meant that the BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker currently lists no date. I think the checker usually shows an availability date if it is scheduled to be set up in the next 3 months (not entirely sure about that though)? For some customers it seems to endlessly keep moving forward 3 months at a time, but never actually arrives. No date being shown might not necessarily mean it will never happen, but who knows? BT OpenReach, that's who!

El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Umpire; thanks once again for taking the time to respond & throw some light on what’s going on (or not) with BT. It’s almost certainly not their fault but it’s something the majority of BT phone operatives on the customer interface seem unable to do.

The broadband availability checker indicates only copper multicast availability on my line &, from what you say, it would seem possible for BT to activate this to get over my current situation. Weather they would have a mind to do this is anyone’s guess, it’s certainly not been mentioned by anyone so far. It would have been more acceptable to have had all this pointed BEFORE I renewed my contract & upgraded all my kit or, at least, had it explained there would be a delay in the BT Extra channel availability. It’s so frustrating to be talked into something, think your doing the right thing only to be thwarted by misinformation & a lack of knowledge by BT front line staff. I assume someone on the technical side must know/understand what's going on, it's just a shame they don't train their front line staff with the correct information/knowledge BEFORE they start signing up customers on new contracts & products.

I still have my Vision+ box which seems quiet happy to work in our bedroom as long as the Youview box downstairs is turned off but BT have thoughtfully chosen to disable my Sport/ESPN viewing card so that doesn’t work either now!

Re the topic you linked; I did try searching previous topics but, not being a regular forum contributor, it can sometimes be difficult knowing where to look. I seem to have exactly the same problem as Mike_S but my Youview box is showing all the extra 500 series channels with 3 blue dots which, I believe, shows they are available on my contract; it’s just that they don’t work!

I’m not really sure where to go from here, I have made a formal complaint to BT but have no confidence this will give an early solution. It will probably involve yet another round of phone calls & more misinformation leaving me no nearer to a solution; sometimes I just feel numb in the head! Maybe I’ll just have to wait for Openreach to catch up like Mike_S but it would be nice if someone at BT would just tell it the way it is, when my problem will be resolved & apologise for leading me up a very long garden path.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond & for your enlightening advice, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Update:

As expected my complaint led to three further rather long, frustrating phone calls & misinformation from staff who, when pushed, were unsure what the actual situation at the Diss exchange was with Openreach & fibre Multicast provision. Each time I asked that my complaint be pushed up to the highest possible level in order to get meaningful answers & a planned solution to my problem instead of the “stock script” response I keep getting.

They were also adamant that Sport & the other “Extra” channels could not be provided through copper Multicast but they had no answer at all when I asked what the situation was with all the other complaints they must surely be getting from BT & other suppliers customers connected through the Diss exchange who have signed up to faster BB & Extra TV channels &, like me, must be currently unable to receive them! Finally I got this E mail response:

“I have liaised with our Wholesalers who have looked into this for you and they have advised that your exchange is at a "not planned" status which means that your exchange is not likely to be upgraded within the next 6 months. We can keep a check on this for you or you can contact us after this time to see if things have changed and we will be able to progress the issue from there.”

Still far from acceptable I feel &, being cynical, I wonder if the E mail has been concocted just to make me go away & keep quiet for the next 6 months. Looks like this is going nowhere at the present time &, now feeling even more “numb in the head”, I will just have to wait & see what happens. To a certain extent I’m fortunate in that my new Infinity contract is actually cheaper than my old contract, I negotiated out paying the normal cost of upgrading to the latest possible kit + I’m now getting 3x faster BB than before. If this wasn’t the case, I think I would seriously be considering going elsewhere but as the other suppliers use the same BT infrastructure, it seems rather pointless unless someone can tell me otherwise!

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Interesting. First, just to make a couple of things clear.

"I seem to have exactly the same problem as Mike_S but my Youview box is showing all the extra 500 series channels with 3 blue dots which, I believe, shows they are available on my contract; it’s just that they don’t work!".

I expect that all customers are getting fed the same EPG information. The blue dots do indicate multicast channels, but just because they are present in the EPG doesn't mean they are available at your location or on your particular package.

"They were also adamant that Sport & the other “Extra” channels could not be provided through copper Multicast but they had no answer at all when I asked what the situation was with all the other complaints they must surely be getting from BT & other suppliers customers connected through the Diss exchange who have signed up to faster BB & Extra TV channels &, like me, must be currently unable to receive them! "

Be careful about mixing up sport and other extra channels when talking to them. They are correct that other extra channels aren't available over Copper Multicast. As far as I've read on these forums the only channels available over Copper Multicast are as below. 

• 475 - BT TV Preview
  • 501 - Sky Sports 1  (certain eligible BT Vision+ box customers only)
  • 502 - Sky Sports 2  (certain eligible BT Vision+ box customers only)
  • 507 - BT Sport 1
  • 508 - BT Sport 2
  • 509 - ESPN

So when you talk to them make it clear that you are just discussing the BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN channels and you are aware of the situation with any other extra channels. The TV Entertainment package should not currently be an option for you, only TV Essential.

The comments about the exchange not having any plans for Fibre Multicast in the next 6 months matches up with what I thought. This explains why there is no mention of it on the checker results. If it was planned in the next 6 months I think a row and availability date would start appearing for it. From memory I think the date is normally set to the end of the quarter they plan to implement it in? So if it was planned for quarter 4 in 2014 it would have a date of December 2014 (or maybe January 2015). 

If I was you I would reply back to them asking if a temporary measure could be put in place for BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN as these are the main reason you subscribed to BT TV and Infinity and you feel you have been somewhat misled by sales staff. 

• Is it possible for them to temporarily activate the limited Copper Multicast service on your Infinity connection? (Mike_S seemed to be in that situation for a while though we can't be sure of that.) At least then you could watch BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN.
  • If not then is it possible to temporarily re-activate your viewing card so you can at least continue to use the TV aerial DTT service on your BT Vision+ box for the BT Sport 1&2 channels in the way you used to? (Note ESPN is not available via the TV aerial.)
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:
  • If not then is it possible to temporarily re-activate your viewing card so you can at least continue to use the TV aerial DTT service on your BT Vision+ box for the BT Sport 1&2 channels in the way you used to? (Note ESPN is not available via the TV aerial.)

To be honest that option might cause other problems now that BT have launched the offical Extra Box service. They seem to be disabling services on second boxes that aren't provided through an Extra Box subscription. 

See  https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Extra-Box-with-BT-TV/m-p/1321543/highlight/true#M13474

and https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Error-code-VMC025/m-p/1317799

El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info Umpire. I will keep my complaint active &, assuming I’m not a “loner” in Diss with this problem, there will be enough more complaints to gee things along a little. TBH, it’s not really that big deal for me as I can always get Sport via tablet or laptop through the TV if I want but that’s really not the point! It’s not getting what I was offered & signed up for, the misinformation & incompetence that p***es me off! I won’t let it lie but sanity tells me there is little point in pushing further at the moment, I will wait & see what develops in the coming months. Hopefully I’ve managed to stir the Openreach supply pot a little for our exchange but who knows!

Regarding multi room viewing; I was on the verge of replacing our ancient bedroom TV for a nice new smart TV but thought I’d give the old Vision box a try & this has given it a new lease of life! We only use it late at night or early morning but I’ve had it running in our bedroom for a month or so & it seems quiet happy as long as we don’t leave Youview on downstairs. I forgot to turn Youview off a couple of times in the first week & we did get a message from the BT Cyber police saying we were naughty & more than one box had been detected. Since then, I’ve always turned Youview off downstairs & Vision seems quiet happy working away upstairs with no further Cyber warnings! This obviously won’t help if you want to record on Youview overnight but, as Vision still seems to work OK upstairs, I can do it on there! This is hardly multi-room viwing IMO but, knowing my luck, it’s “3 strikes & your out” & next time I forget, a BT cyber bomb will destroy all my Vision box functions except freeview!

Thanks again for your interest.

0 Ratings