cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wibbly
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Still trying to find a BT router that works - Mod help?

Had BT Infinity 1 upgraded to 2, installed many moons ago with HH3 and external modem. Internet connection has always been ok but HH3 would never connect without crashing over 2.4Ghz to Apple iPhones. BT sent me both models A & B in attempts to resolve this but in the end I gave up, considered the HH3 not fit for purpose, bit the bullet and bought my own 3rd party router as there was no alternative solution from BT.

My 3rd party router has now failed and, as BT now has alternatives to the HH3, and I've NEVER had a router solution from BT that actually works properly, I'm looking to see if I can now get a solution from BT that should work... Now tempted to move from BT to a competitor which will shave a little off my monthly cost and get me a new router into the bargain.

BT "tech support" said they can only resolve the issue by charging me for a HH5. I don't see why I should have to pay again/more for the original solution BT have *never* been able to get to work, as I consider not being able to connect to an iPhone over standard Wifi without crashing the router as 'not a solution that works'. BT will send be yet another HH3 (!), which I would be fine with if only it worked, but having two so far that don't, just how many times do I have to receive more HH3's before BT find a solution that works/admit the HH3 is NOT a solution!?!

Can the Mods help out here? I'm not demanding a HH5 specfically for free, just a solution that actually works. I really don't think it's reasonable I should have to shell out again for another 3rd party router. I just want a solution that delivers 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi reliably, which is what BT promised their original solution was supposed to be capable of 😞

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Still trying to find a BT router that works - Mod help?

When is your contract due for renewal?  You could try and negotiate a new hub probably a hh4 as you have a modem as part of your new contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

If you are still in contract BT will only send you a like for like replacement Homehub if it is faulty. They will not send you a Homehub 5 as a replacement for a Homehub 3. You could try and re-contract and make it part of the re-contract agreement that they supply you with a Homebub 5. Contact the options team 0800.800.030 for that.

Personally I would not spend any money getting a Homehub 5. I would spend my money an a dual band third party router.

EDIT: I don't see how BT could ever deliver 2.4GHz and 5GHz on a Homehub 3 as it is not a dual band router.

0 Ratings
wibbly
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Agreed, I will not spend money on a HH5

My point is I don't actually want/need more than a HH3 that actually works properly. I don't care if BT solve this with a wet lettuce if that's what will actually work :-P. I paid for a HH3 based solution. That solution does not work. I want BT to fix it and provide a solution I'm paying for, without me having to "fix it myself" by buying another 3rd party product, that's all.

Not quite ready for re-contract, but will try the options team, unless a mod has a better idea... But it looks like losing me as a customer is what BT processes are actually wanting me to do 😞

As it happens I know BT *WILL* replace a HH3 with a HH5 for free, as my father got exactly that quite recently as BT's solution for a misbehaving HH3. But as I said, I'd be happy with a HH3 that worked...

0 Ratings
wibbly
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

EDIT: I don't see how BT could ever deliver 2.4GHz and 5GHz on a Homehub 3 as it is not a dual band router.

Ha! Indeed. Could have sworn it did... Anyway, it def was problematic, which is why I replaced it with a 3rd party product.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@wibbly wrote:

I just want a solution that delivers 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi reliably, which is what BT promised their original solution was supposed to be capable of 😞

The only solution that will deliver the above is a dual band router. With BT that is either a HH4 or HH5.

If your HH3 is faulty and you know through the experience with your father that BT will give a HH5 as a replacement for a HH3 I suggest that you contact BT and report that your HH3 is faulty and see what happens.

Don't be surprised though if they only offer to send out another HH3, which of course is not dual band.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Are you still in contract with BT - not rolling monthly contract?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
wibbly
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Still in contract...

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@wibbly wrote:

Had BT Infinity 1 upgraded to 2, installed many moons ago with HH3 and external modem. Internet connection has always been ok but HH3 would never connect without crashing over 2.4Ghz to Apple iPhones. BT sent me both models A & B in attempts to resolve this but in the end I gave up, considered the HH3 not fit for purpose, bit the bullet and bought my own 3rd party router as there was no alternative solution from BT.

My 3rd party router has now failed and, as BT now has alternatives to the HH3, and I've NEVER had a router solution from BT that actually works properly, I'm looking to see if I can now get a solution from BT that should work... Now tempted to move from BT to a competitor which will shave a little off my monthly cost and get me a new router into the bargain.

BT "tech support" said they can only resolve the issue by charging me for a HH5. I don't see why I should have to pay again/more for the original solution BT have *never* been able to get to work, as I consider not being able to connect to an iPhone over standard Wifi without crashing the router as 'not a solution that works'. BT will send be yet another HH3 (!), which I would be fine with if only it worked, but having two so far that don't, just how many times do I have to receive more HH3's before BT find a solution that works/admit the HH3 is NOT a solution!?!

Can the Mods help out here? I'm not demanding a HH5 specfically for free, just a solution that actually works. I really don't think it's reasonable I should have to shell out again for another 3rd party router. I just want a solution that delivers 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi reliably, which is what BT promised their original solution was supposed to be capable of 😞

What makes you sure that it's the HH and not your Apple device?

I work with wireless devices all day, every day (I'm a WLAN consultant).  I've seen more iDevices cause issues than I've had hot dinners.

The problem is that Apple just don't seem to stick to standards.  They'll implement a technology and make some element of that technology work better with other Apple devices than they will with 3rd-party devices.

It's not just limited to Wifi either.  They do this with Bluetooth too.  I've got a Motorola TK30 Bluetooth Hands-Free system in my car.  My Windows and Android phones connect to it perfectly, every time, but my iPhone 4S and my iPad 2 disconnect constantly.  When they do connect I have problems making and receiving calls via the 4S and the iPad streams music if it feels like it.  I installed the TK30 because my Parrot was... wait for it... not working with my iPhone!!

Sorry, but IMO the HH3 is fit for purpose.

wibbly
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Just to close off the thread, and thanks for the replies...

I called Customer Options Team. I can re-contract, but would only be offered a HH5 if I chose to lose my discount (which I got last time as BT's prices were so uncompetetive). The difference would have me paying more than the HH5 would cost me to buy anyway over the course of a year!

So I'm left with the option of going to another ISP and saving over £100/yr for an alternate unlimited 76Mps service complete with a free router. Even Virgin's 152Mbps service is just cheaper than BT's 76Mbps with my discount! And I can get Virgin - but had bad experiences with them before.

Sigh - makes you wonder how BT ever retain or gain customers! :-S 

0 Ratings