cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 28

Still waiting for Broadband to be activated

When I decided to go with BT for broadband, I knew it would be a massive risk, BT have a reputation for being.. well.. **bleep** and it turns out they really are.

Yesterday was our activation date. Midnight came and went and still no broadband. 8am this morning, still no broadband. I've called BT twice today and had two completely different explanations. 

I called BT at 8:10 this morning. The person I spoke to said that she absolutely guaranteed it would be working by midnight tomorrow (In hindsight I assume I was told that because the call centers aren't open on Sunday, a good way to get rid of me until Monday).

about 30 minutes ago I realised that our phone line is working, so I gave BT a call again. The person I just spoke to said that now they don't expect the broadband to be working until the 14th.

This is absolutely rediculious, not only did I have to wait 10 days after originally making the order (10 days is a stupid amount of time to have to wait for broadband in nearly 2016 by the way..) but now I have to wait another 4 days? Who is to say that it'll be working by Monday? I've already been guaranteed it'll work by tomorrow midnight and the 14th, what am I supposed to believe? I'm supposed to be working from home at the moment, which requires internet. That means that I am currently losing money because I don't have any broadband.

What are BT going to do to make this right? 

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Still waiting for Broadband to be activated

Ten days wait is quite normal after placing an order. Broadband cannot be provided until there is a working telephone line. It then takes a couple of days after that, for the broadband to be provisioned.

There is also a 10 day minimum imposed by Ofcom, to protect customers from "slamming", as it gives them the opportunity to intervene, before their line is taken.

Why would you be losing money, as you are not allowed to use the service to run a business, unless its a BT Business Broadband line?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 28

So you're saying that I'm "not allowed" to do work from home? If I come home at 5pm and decide that I might finish off some work are you saying that's against some kind of rule? 

Regardless, 11 days has passed and I still don't have broadband and the customer service has been terrible and frankly your reply hasn't done anything to revitalize some of my faith in BT. 

Can I please get a definitive answer for how long this is going to take, I live in a densely populated area amoungst many other BT customers, it baffles my mind that setting up broadband in this day and age is such a headache.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

I am just a BT Customer, so cannot tell you how long it will take.

If you are an employee, working from home, then you are not a business.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 28

Apologies, I did not realise this is a customer to customer forum. Is there a forum where I can speak directly to BT or does that not exist? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Beginner
Message 7 of 28

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

It is also Openreach who provide and maintain the network for all providers an under OFCOM rules BT gets no preferential service at the moment engineers are being moved around the UK to help the restoration of services caused by the recent storms across North Wales Lake district an Scotland this obviously delays new installs due to substantial damage to the infrastucture and exchanges
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

I agree that 10 days is ridiculous. 

In my case, the original order was made on 22nd November, and we were told that it would be activated on 2nd December.

Now, to my great frustration and disappointment, I have just been told that it will be done on 29th December.

Words fail me. Have cried all day knowing that I can't contact my family (in USA and Spain) on Christmas Day, and won't be able to skype and see my grandson open his Christmas presents this year. No online shopping - I am elderly, alone and in a remote village. Whatever year BT are operating in, it certainly isn't 2015!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 28

@MrsMony a reply has been posted on your own post
0 Ratings