Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crashcourse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Strange ISP name listed on IP/location sniffing site

Go to solution

Hello,

When visiting whatismyipaddress.com I've recently been seeing 'IP-Only Networks AB' as the ISP when the site detects my IPv6 address. Most other IP/location sniffing websites still had 'BT' as my ISP, but those sites were only seeing my IPv4 address.

'IP-Only Networks AB' persisted through multiple router restarts and IP changes, and then as of a few days ago it's back to 'BT' again.

I'm just wondering whether 'IP-Only Networks AB' a supplier for BT? Can anyone shine any light on this? I'm using the latest BT Smart Hub (6) hardware and firmware version SG4B1000B316 (updated July 2017).

Much appreciated,

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Strange ISP name listed on IP/location sniffing site

Go to solution

'IP-Only Networks AB' would appear to be a Swedish Telecoms Company.  With no connection to BT as far as I can see.

As to why they showed up as your ISP is debateable,  could have been due to the use of a VPN or even  a routing glitch.  Or just corrupted records somewhere (likely) that has sorted itself out.

On the whole it's nothing to be concerned about.

Jonkarra
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

It's also possible that BT have purchased additional IP addressing that used to be assigned to this company.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@Jonkarra wrote:

It's also possible that BT have purchased additional IP addressing that used to be assigned to this company.

It's possible, but unlikely. The IPv6 address space currently allocated to BT Broadband is from the 2a00:23c0::/29 prefix, which provides 134,217,728 networks of length /56 i.e., the prefix length BT delegate to a user. And the 2a00:23c0::/29 prefix is part of the larger 2a00:23c0::/27 prefix which provides 536,870,912 networks of length /56.

I don't think they'll have exhausted that space and need to be buying more already Smiley Wink

@crashcourse. Do you recollect what the IPv6 address was that showed up as belonging to IP-Only Networks AB?

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Ahh hadn't noticed it was IPv6 addressing 😉 Probably just someone's database is inaccurate.

0 Ratings
crashcourse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you everyone for your answers 🙂

One of the IP's I made a note of started with 2a00:23c5 which I think is within the range you mentioned @smf22?

I also recently ran that old IP back through whatismyipaddress.com, and this time it's returning 'BT' as the ISP. So I'm chalking this down to a false positive.

0 Ratings