cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JNation
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Strange One Is this a DNS Issue???

Bare with me folks....if anyone can confirm my suspicsions it would be much appreacieted. I regret getting a Smart Hub, for a couple of months last year the DHCP was not working correctly, seems to be fixed after a firmware update but BT sent me another hub, only just got round to plugging this one in and the wifi on it is 1-3mb, When i plug my old (now mostly working) hub back in i get the full 65MB

Anyway the issue I have is for the past few months on Xbox Live I cant recieve game invites, otherwise everthing is working. Xbox is ethernet connection by the way. I've been playing with the DMZ and ports for a few days and everynow and then I think its fixed only for it to go again

Now the only thing I can see in correlation is today I've been testing and on my wiered desktop sometimes I cant access the Hub manager page 192.168.1.254. It just times out. When I try and get game invites whilst this is down nothing comes through, eventually the page loads up and presto I am getting game invites again

So what is it that would be causing the page not to load, is it something to do with the DNS. Might be a coincidence but it seems odd that either both faults happen together or not at all

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Strange One Is this a DNS Issue???

No, lack of access to the hub page at 192.168.1.254 has nothing to do with DNS.

You put in the numerical IP address so DNS is not required.  I suspect another faulty hub.  Quite a few reports similar to yours.  If my router behaved like that it would be consigned to the bin and a new one purchased, and not a router from the ISP.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

@Liam_ is probably correct, unless of course the Hub is trying to a reverse lookup on the address you're connecting from.

You should be able to prove DNS easily anyway. If you have a PC or something with a command prompt, simply run the command nslookup bbb.co.uk and see if you get a response.

Regards
0 Ratings
Ian7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

HI

Are you running Kaspersky, it could be this problem again 🙂

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Warning-Kaspersky-and-loss-of-admin-screen-to-Sm...

0 Ratings