Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firebirdvx2
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Strange infinity results

Hi,

I have been using Sky fibre for the past year and have been getting a steady 40mb. On Wednesday I was switched over to BT infinity and am now getting, at most, 16mb using the Bt wholesale speed test. 

Now the strange thing is if I use speedtest.net and select a a server at my location I get the same speeds but If I choose a server in leeds (the other end of the country) I am getting nearly 60mb. 

Bt have said it is a problem at my property and will need to send an engineer. I can't really see how this is possible if Sky where able to provide this service with no problems using the exact same openreach modem and cabling? They also say If they do find a problem at my property they will charge me £130 to which I have said I wont be paying and will just switch back to Sky.

Trying to explain this to anyone over the phone is like talking to a 5 year old. They cant do anymore then send an engineer out. 

Can anyone explain why pinging a server in Leeds would return different results?

Many thanks

Jim

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Checked2013
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Strange infinity results

Hi, is is possible for you to post screenshots of your speedtests including the IP profile from the Bt Wholesale test. Also what speeds do you get when you download files?

0 Ratings
firebirdvx2
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

bt.png

bt maid.png

These are the results If I use a server near me.

bt leeds.png

And this is a server in Leeds?

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Your ping looks very high are you using a wireless connection or a wired connection? I you are using a wireless connection try doing a speedtest with a wired connection and see if it helps.

0 Ratings
firebirdvx2
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

If I try a wired connection I get about 1mb faster for each test.

Just seems strange I am getting different results from different servers?

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 9

It would be stranger to get the same results from different servers.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
firebirdvx2
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

But would you expect me to be getting such wild results. The server nearest me is alot slower then thoughs the other end of the country?

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

It may be the one closest to you is busy or hasn't got enough bandwidth to give you an accurate test.
0 Ratings
dja1000
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Be interesting to see how it is measured.

If I enable qos One of the Ping test.net servers during the test I send 250 packets, 1000 received!
0 Ratings