cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CreepyD
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Stuck IP Profile. Internet is barely useable.

I've had this useless Internet for over a month now.

I used to have a speed of about 5.5MB, but now it's stuck at 250k.

Basically a load of noise suddenly appeared on my line - a week ago it was finally fixed.

The noise is gone, all looks good - Except my IP profile simply hasn't moved in a whole week of waiting and more frustration.

It took over an hour and a half to download just 10MB !!

I've left it on for 3-4 days, then one morning tried rebooting the router, no change..

I'ts been on for almost another couple of days since then and still no change at all.

BT speed test results from just now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
    112 Kbps

0 Kbps    250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 112 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :576 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 7.68:25.15:67.71 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
    344 Kbps

0 Kbps    888 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 344 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 888 Kbps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connection time    1 day, 15:01:05
Downstream    576 Kbps
Upstream    888 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    32.0 dB / 11.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    37.0 dB / 18.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)    11
Loss of Signal (Local)    1
Loss of Power (Local)    0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)    1

I hope someone can help, thanks.

Will email that mod email with my details too.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Stuck IP Profile. Internet is barely useable.

You look like you are in a banded profile due to a large number of disconnections that have also caused your noise margin to rise to 32db normal default is 6db it needs at least 5days stable connection with no restarts to get the exchange equipment to reset
0 Ratings
CreepyD
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thx for reply.

I can't wait another 3 days, it's rediculous Smiley Sad

I've waited another whole week already, only restarting it twice to try to get it to resync.

I had a huuuge number of disconnects for 3 weeks until it was fixed, that's why my speed went down the drain.

It cut off when ever the phone rang even.

It's been fixed for a whole week, not a single disconnect afaik, why can't it just give me at least SOME speed back.

Another question is, is it normal to get refunds/compensation for this kind of thing? I mean, it's been totally useless for over a month.

I can't do things that I normally do online, nothing will stream, I can't play any online games, even simple web pages take minutes to load sometimes.

Surely there should be some 'override' to give people the speed that we KNOW we can get, or a 'reset' back to max speed, then let it drop again. Anything has to better than how it is now.

If I move to another ISP, is that a way of fixing it now my line itself is fixed?

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

You MUST just leave it CreepyD - everytime you reset or restart the hub you start out all over again!!

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
CreepyD
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Ok now I'm really annoyed. Just heard from the other half that we had an electrician out today, and the power had to be turned off twice - so that's 2 more disconnects according to my hub, probably making things even worse.

I can't wait ANOTHER 5 days ffs, I've been waiting over a MONTH for this to be fixed!!

Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get someone to reset my IP profile, I have heard it CAN be done from other threads.

Even waiting some more, how do I know that something wont happen in the next 5 days that will cause the hub to disconnect / power to go off / who knows what.

I work in IT support, and I know that simply waiting and hoping for the best is never a solution - I just want it fixed.

Sorry for my caps and language, but I'm at the end of my teather now, and am sick of being told to 'wait'. I've been patient for a month, but really can't do it anymore.

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

Do you know what the hub has resync'd at?

Please post another set of stats and the bt speed tester results when you can. Given the noise that you did have on the line a couple of dis connects shouldn't be catastrophic and you may have seen some improvement.

Too late for now but if you know that something might cause loss of power or phone line to the hub - log on to its home page and use the disconnect button and then power it down. This won't then be seen as a fault / noise by the dslam.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

The d l m Dynamic Line Management that bt uses will cause an ip profile to drop within 75minutes of a noise episode but can take between 3/5 days to restore the profile while the equipment sees a stable connection you can ask the board mods to get it reset but they also need to see a minimum 5 days stable connection
0 Ratings
CreepyD
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Thanks Geoff, I'll remember that for next time.
I have calmed down a bit now.
Unfortunately, the more I try to use the Internet, it builds back up again when I can't relax by watching TV (iplayer etc) or play an online game.

Here are some new stats after 3 power losses today.
The noise margin is lower, is that good? How come it's gone down?

New test results:

Connection time    0 days, 2:06:48
Downstream    572 Kbps
Upstream    1,140 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    23.8 dB / 5.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    37.0 dB / 18.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)    0
Loss of Signal (Local)    0
Loss of Power (Local)    0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    51 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)    0

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
    219 Kbps

0 Kbps    500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 219 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :572 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1139 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.26:28.02:63.15 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
    921 Kbps

0 Kbps    1139 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 921 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1139 Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Creepy D your noise level as i said in an earlier post is very high and until it starts coming down your speed will below your line has been unstable and has put you in a banded profile and until the exchange equipment sees your line as stable it will not release it and when it does your speed will increase accordingly this can take 5 to 10 days sorry you will just have to wait and let things return to normal and ensure no large number of disconnections
0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

The good news is that you IP profile isn't stuck at 250 as it has risen. The decrease in your noise margin is also a good sign as the dslam doesn't think it needs so much margin to keep a stable line. Unfortunately as John said the dslam is very quick to raise the noise margin and drop the IP but takes its time to increase them again.
0 Ratings