Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 29

Re: Stuck Profile

Go to solution
If just an extension then I would just leave 2&5 connected take a pic first incase you find something stops working but should be ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nickaminsky
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 29

Go to solution

While Ive been away looks like the HH has resync'd to a higher noise margin. Looks a lot better as the HEC errors are now very much better as you mentioned it would be at high margin. Very tempted to leave it for the moment and see what happens as the connection is now very good (14Mbps on speedtest.net)...

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 03:42:05
Downstream:16.31 Mbps
Upstream:888.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.0 dB / 12.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):18.9 dB / 10.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.1 dBm / 11.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):31459706 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):9 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):7 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):133274 / 0

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution
if you can maintain 3 days + stable connection post back new stats back and we can ask the forum mods to carry out a noise margin rest to the default noise margin reset to its default of 6db which should maintain stability and improve your connection speed
0 Ratings
Nickaminsky
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks, I still have a case open with David who I think will probably call me tomorrow. I'm concerned that if the noise margin is reset again to a lower value I will get the HEC errors introduced, killing the connection speed like it did over the weekend. I think I need to do some more digging at my end to see if the extension to the garage is causing a problem, as its too coincidental that the problem started after we had some issues with some other wiring to the garage at the start of Jan. I think I will remove those terminals from the socket as a next step as I don't really know why all 6 terminals would be connected. Would there be a reason for a 6-core extension?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 29

Go to solution
given a stable connection your noise margin will reduce anyway it sounds more like your internal wiring is the possible cause of the errors
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution

sounds like someone just conencted all the wires when only only 2&5 were required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nickaminsky
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

I have been in touch with David and we will see how it goes over the next few days. I'm looking into getting my extension/socket wiring checked and dealing with the garage extension. One other thing I thought of is that we have an external faceplate where the phone line comes into the property and this potentially gets battered by the weather. If there are any iffy connections in there and the weather got to them it could affect things. The cover is not exactly flush to the brickwork and the screws are rusted. The property is at least 15 years old now. In any case, the connection seems currently good at 10db margin, but will see if that reduces over the next few days and I end up with a high error rate.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution

if in touch with mods then just leave it and see what mods say when you next talk to them

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution

Hi Nickaminsky,

It looks like the profile reset has sorted this one for you. I've dropped you an email to confirm.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings