Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dimwoo99
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Stuck in Parental Controls Hell...

Go to solution

My parental controls have stopped working. It used to work and the settings on my mybt.com site are just the same, but now any device in the house that uses the wifi can access **bleep** etc. I don't know how this has happened. This might be relevant: we moved house in March and asked for our number and broadband to be transferred but they forgot to transfer our number and we had to wait 4 or 5 days for them to do so. I suspect the parental controls have not worked since then. 

I've tried to raise this issue with telephone support but omg the service level is atrocious. So far I've spent about 3 hours on the phone, had to explain the issue about six times, have to start again every time etc etc. Eventually they said they would get the Parental Controls team to ring me back, which actually happened - but the idiot on the other end tried to tell me that the categories no longer work and I had to enter individual website in the 'block a specific' site box. So that would mean I have to manually enter every **bleep** site on the internet one-by-one! I demanded to speak to a supervisor and that the call would be escalated and they promised they would but I've heard nothing in 3 days. BT 1st line support is INSANELY, LUDICROUSLY AWFUL.

Can anyone advise what else I can do? I've seen on other parental controls issue that some merifcul, angelic moderators seem to have the power to resolve these sorts of issues. Please, I'm literally begging on my knees....! 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Stuck in Parental Controls Hell...

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@dimwoo99 I'm sorry about the problems with your parental controls. We'll be happy to chase this up for you, please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
dimwoo99
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, thanks very much! I've filled in all the details **edited by Mod** Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @dimwoo99 We have recieved your form and will be in touch shortly. Best not to post unique reference numbers 😉

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
dimwoo99
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, still no progress with this problem. BT support eventually called me on Weds afternoon but it was an Indian lady with what seemd to be a faulty headset - I could hardly hear her, as if she was talking to me through thirty yards of hosepipe. Needless to say from what conversation we did manage she didn't even know what my problem until I explained it AGAIN for what must now be the tenth time. It is now well over a fortnight since I first contacted BT with no progress at all.

I'm in IT so I do have some knowledge of how things work. None of our wifi or network devices are being blocked from **bleep** sites. I don't have a custom internet DNS server set on my devices that might get round the BT router. I'm wondering if the router has not been automatically patched to the level required by the current Parental Controls system...? Should be a straightforward job for someone to connect to it and check, I would have thought. I do know that it sets itself back to default every few weeks, because when I've set a custom name for it previously it has reverted to the default after a few weeks, and also the NAT entries I've added for XBOX gaming never stick around for long. 

But I don't think I've got anywhere near the point of anyone technical actually taking a look... 

0 Ratings
dimwoo99
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, still no progress on this. It's been three weeks since I first contacted BT Support and I've had contact from them for a week now - they appear to have given up altogether. My main hope was the moderators here. Can anyone please help push this forward?? I'm seriously thinking of switching to another provider. 

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @dimwoo99,

I'm sorry to hear that you are no further forward. I've spoken with our team and we'll be looking into this for you today.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
dimwoo99
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you!

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @dimwoo99,

Thank you for taking my call today. I'm happy to hear that your Parental Controls are back working as they should.

Cheers

PaddyB

0 Ratings