Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Stuck on ADSL2+ Banded Profile?

Go to solution

Hi,

I am on ADSL2+, and seem to have managed to acquire a "banded profile". Prior to this I could stay synced at around 5000kbps for weeks, so it's really annoying to be stuck at 3068kbps. This problem seemed to start just before Christmas, and at that time BT started installing FTTC Infinity in houses in our neighbourhood.  Also people's Christmas lights may not have helped I guess!

Anyway, I have waited for 5 days plus now without attempting a resync, so I was hoping that a kind mod could please remove my banded profile and give me a reset?  It would be much appreciated, as I can't watch some BBC iPlayer content any more, and I know it can go so much faster.  I have been monitoring with RouterStats, and there is no sign of any REIN.  I am not planning to upgrade to Infinity for the foreseeable future.

I have attached a router snapshot to show the connection time.

Many thanks,
Nigel.

router.JPG

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Stuck on ADSL2+ Banded Profile?

Go to solution
Can you post the full stats of the connection including the noise margins and attenuation of the line please.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Webby,

Here are the stats:

stats.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
there is no evidence of a banded profile there you have a slightly higher than normal noise margin as 7.1dB but that is all have you tried connecting to the test socket to see if there is any improvement
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
With that attenuation you're not going to get much better. As above, could you connect to the test socket by removing the front portion of your master socket? This will remove any internal wiring from the equation which could be a possible cause of the lower speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies.  I have tried connecting to the test socket through a good microfilter.  (My normal connection is with an ADSL Faceplate.)

Here are the results on the test socket:

no offset test socket.png

And here are the results when I changed back to the normal wiring:

no offset all wiring.png

So, basically no change.  I know my internal wiring is good, because I sorted it out and fitted the ADSL Faceplate quite a while ago.

Whilst connected to the test socket, I also tried tweaking the Target SNR slightly.  It is what happens when I do this that makes me think I am on a banded profile.  I don't understand how the SNR changes, but the sync speed doesn't (see stats below), but would really appreciate a line reset, as this would indicate a fault if it doesn't make things go back to normal (abouit 4500 to 5000 kbps sync).  I know my line attenuation means that I don't deserve to get that speed, but I have consistently done well over the years!

So, here is what happened when I reduced the Target SNR by 3db:

3db offset test socket.png

And then by 4.5db:

4.5db offset test socket.png

And finally 6db:

6db offset test socket.png

At no time did the sync speed rise above the top of the banded profile (while I believe to be 3072kbps), hence why I am thinking my profile is banded.

How can I get in touch with a forum mod, to see if they can check my line and maybe do a reset?

Thanks,

Nigel.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

as already said I don't think you are in abanded profile and have a good conenction speed for your attenuation.  I cannot see mod doing a manual reset for a conenction which looks like you would expect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@imjolly

The thing is that I have consistently achieved sync speeds of around 5000kbps until just before Christmas, when our cab was upgraded to enable FTTC.  It is almost as if this has caused the problem, so I just felt that a reset would show if things settle to a better speed.

You didn't comment on how changing my target SNR did not affect sync speed.  Isn't that a strong indicator of being on a banded profile?  Are there any other possible explanations?

I have now reported this to BT Faults, and I'm hoping for a call from Level 2 support tomorrow, but any further comments would be very welcome.

Regards,

Nigel.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

in a banded profile the majority of case will have a noise margin in double figures about 15db whereas your normal noise margin without you tweaking is 6db

if it was a banded profile it should release automatically given 3/5 days stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

BT level 2 support have now been in touch, and confirmed that my connection had become what she described as 'capped'.  She wanted to send me a new Home Hub 3 to try (as my HH2 keeps resetting and dropping wifi).  I will stop using my Billion and see if the HH3 is stable.  On Saturday she is going to call again, and will then do a reset to remove the cap.  Finally, if that doesn't fix it she will send out an engineer.

Thanks for all the advice on here, and I will keep this thread updated with any further outcomes as it may be helpful to someone else in a similar situation.

Regards,

Nigel.

0 Ratings