Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Student doing Research: I.T. Helpdesks

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me please, ideally a BT staff member.

I am currently studying I.C.T. In Business at College and we have recently been tasked with an Assignment to look into what information is collated by I.T. realted companies and how this co-incides with the Data Protection Act etc.

I wondered if it would please be possible for someone to list for me the information held on system amid a typical I.T. Helpdesk software such as the one BT Broadband may use?

To clarify, this would be such as Name/Address/Age/DOB etc etc etc. Just the field titles is all I am after. 🙂

Any help is greatly apreciated as this will be defining for how I shape my Assignment.

Thanks again

Eddie 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Student doing Research: I.T. Helpdesks

this is a customer forum and the information is not available hera and I doubt BT would provide that information in any case

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

You could try making a request to take out a BB and phone contract and see just what info they require, then quit before making the final commitment. I guess the last info will be bank account details.

Or, if you have a contract, make a call to a helpdesk about an issue and get chatting about what they see in front of them.

I searched for "personal information held by ISPs" and found this 2008 Telegraph article that might give you some ideas. You might try phoning the helpdesks of some of the organisations mentioned there, under some plausible pretext, and blag some info out of them.

I wonder how much information is added by ISPs to the basic PII one supplies, such as keywords in emails, search terms, tags etc, that shows up on a Helpdesk screen.

You could try making a Data Subject Access Request to a relevant company of which you are a customer, specify that you are interested in the Helpdesk software interface, and ensure that the request encompasses things like keywords, tags, search terms, attachment types that might have been gleaned from your computer activity. Consumerwiki has sample letters .You'd have to modify appropriately.

Good Luck with your project, and let us know how you get on!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Hi FloFosterJenkins,

I am very apreciative of your reply, it is very helpful toward my cause.
The article is very informative and you have given me some useful ideas to take this forward.

Thankyou for your time.

Eddie 

0 Ratings