cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 21

Stupidly slow broadband for over a month (paying for service but not getting it) :(

Hello,

As the title of the thread suggests- we have been putting up with stupidly slow Broadband for over a MONTH!!!

Started off very well on 30/03/2011 when our Broadband and Telephone line was all activated on time and before I even got out of bed at 6.30am, speeds were great (11meg with 10ms ping) and were for about a month.

One month later (end of April) we had a massive slowdown in Broadband speed 0.5meg in one instance and 6meg in another (with speedtests being 5 mins apart) and tested many times throughout peak and off peak traffic times- definatly not a throughput issue.

I have checked my local exchange through Plusnet site and it's all listing as green status- Great 🙂

Now then, for the last month we have had stupidly slow Broadband speeds everytime my family have been attempting to use the internet (consistantly between 0.5 and 1 meg) meaning most websites are no go's and online gaming, streaming videos or using BT Vision is a big no-no...

IP Profile is set at 2000k at the moment but does change every few days to anything between 2000k and 3500k Smiley Surprised definatly not a stuck profile.

Line status is showing a rock solid connection which has been sustained for over 3 weeks without a single reset or disconnection!

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:21 days, 17:15:34
Downstream:5.34 Mbps
Upstream:1.13 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):5.6 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):23.9 dB / 10.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.6 dBm / 11.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

After a reboot this evening to see if it resolves the issue bit it did not:-

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 12:13:27
Downstream:4.37 Mbps
Upstream:1.11 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):23.9 dB / 10.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.6 dBm / 11.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

I know we dont pay much for our Broadband service but it's hardly the point and I always expect a good level of service- cheap or not!

£10 for option 3 BB, £12.50 for BT Vision, £13.90 for line rental and about £25 per month on calls still all adds up to a lot of money over the course of a year for a service we cant even use!

BT have had nearly £4000 out of us over the period of 5 years so it's not as if we are new customers or ones that are to fussy!

Now remembering why we got rid of BT last year to another company slightly worse than BT- might as well just get rid of fixed landline services and get a 3G dongle and a contract phone.

Phoned BT about 20 times over the last month but they never listen to a word I or anyone else says and tell me to switch all the equipment on and off, remove and re-insert cables which isnt and has not helped sort out the issue.

The last time we had an engineer out we were billed £130 for a fault with the line outside the property- hence why I dont want another coming to my house just to receive another £130 bill for nothing.

Sent a complaint letter but havent heard sod all from BT.

I am very aware of my consumer rights (Supply of Goods and Service Act and also Sale of Goods and Service Act) and wont be ripped off with bad value by any company, however large.

My contract says I would get around 15meg, as does the BT Speedchecker. Line Rental has increased by 30p aswell which is to my ''material disadvantage'' (T&C's) and I'm sure we have been mis-sold the ''services'' on various grounds.

Can I cancel my contract without penalty and leave BT for good?

Moan over 😉

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Stupidly slow broadband for over a month (paying for service but not getting it) :(

apart from your poor connection speed your stats are to die for. with your attenuation you should be about 18mb.

It looks like you were set up on 21CN but somewhere along the way you are restricted to adslmax download - like they do when they upgrade an excahnge but restrict connection unless you agree a new contract.

I would suggest that the mods should look at this and be able to ensure that as your modulation shows 992.5 youget the speed to go with it.

email the mods http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Seaking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Re: Stupidly slow broadband for over a month (paying for service but not getting it) :(

@ttyrie wrote:

The last time we had an engineer out we were billed £130 for a fault with the line outside the property- hence why I dont want another coming to my house just to receive another £130 bill for nothing.

Sent a complaint letter but havent heard sod all from BT.

I am very aware of my consumer rights (Supply of Goods and Service Act and also Sale of Goods and Service Act) and wont be ripped off with bad value by any company, however large.

My contract says I would get around 15meg, as does the BT Speedchecker. Line Rental has increased by 30p aswell which is to my ''material disadvantage'' (T&C's) and I'm sure we have been mis-sold the ''services'' on various grounds.

Can I cancel my contract without penalty and leave BT for good?

Moan over 😉

Can I ask what the fault with the line was ??

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 21

Hi ttyrie,

Yup we'll be happy to help you out with this and get your speed back on track, drop us an email as imjolly suggests.

Could you also try to run a test via www.speedtester.bt.com please?

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 21

I'm very busy at the moment so will get round to posting the results either later on this evening or tommorow.

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 21

Hundreds of websites are not loading either and just display ''page cannot be displayed''- here's a few:-

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk (all areas)

2. https://www.edenred.uk.com/ (cant access any colleague benefits).

3. http://www.hotmail.co.uk/

4. http://www.lloydstsb.com (online banking)

5. http://www.bbc.co.uk (all areas)

6. http://direct.gov.uk (all areas)

7. http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/

8. http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/

9. http://www.bt.yahoo.com

10. http://www.youtube.com

I've tried all of the above websites on the work desktop and they all work, so I think BT are doing something wrong here.

Oh and the connection itself is still **bleep** slow (i'll run a bt speedtest and post results soon) 😞

If it isnt fixed within 7 days then I'll have to look at cancelling because broadband isnt much good if you cant access websites or it is really slow.

Thanks...

0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 21

Here's the BT Speedtest..... Smiley Mad

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

438 Kbps

0 Kbps

1500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 438 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-3500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1452 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1167 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 12.39:23.72:63.89 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

96 Kbps

0 Kbps

1167 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 96 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1167 Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

I hope the mods are still trying to sort out your connection

your btspeedtester results have a problem as your profile is higher than your connection speed - looks like a reset will happen shortly

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

all websites ok here sorry cannot suggest what your problem is
0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

Still the same problem and I have tried phoning and emailing BT with no success...

Phoned BT this morning and was told that there has been no notes at all left on the account about the problem and that he would phone me back in 30 mins. Did I receive a call back? No Robot Mad

Phoned back again and was told that yet again there has been no notes left on the account and by this time I couldnt be bothered to explain it all again so said ''Thanks and goodbye''.

I sent the mods an email 2 days ago but have not received a reply.

0 Ratings