cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Sudden Broadband Speed Drop - User Profile?

Until very recently I hade two BT lines running into my home - one for Broadband and one for Landline.  To save money, I moved my broadband account onto the landline one.  I monitor my speed, and this swap seems to have resulted in halving my top speed from 8 MBS to 4-5 MBS. (I know that even 4-5 MBS is quite fast for some, but put that to one side for a moment).

The frustrating thing is that I KNOW that the exchange can give me 8 MBS as my previous link gave me just that.  In trying to get back to 8 MBS I gather that a user is given a 'profile', and mine is set to 5000.  I assume that this, in some way, limits ones line speed.

I realise that time of day makes a difference but trust me - when I try at 3 am the cut-off of the performance graph at 3-4 MBS is quite marked.

Can anyone confirm this 'profile' thing, and suggest how I can go about increasing this limit?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Sudden Broadband Speed Drop - User Profile?

your profile is determined by your connection speed - this will explain  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Thank you - the below is the result of the speed test.  Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

the problem is your profile is low due to the previous line drops and low speed. profile should be 5000 and if you can stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days maybe sooner your profile will rise automatically

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Thank you for this - am I right is understanding that merely staying connected for an extended time will raise my profile, or do I have to download 24/7?

Also - what can I do to increase the profile beyond 5000 (I realise that I cannot get it beyond what the line is capable of (and that seems to be just over 7000))

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

just staying connected 24/7 and doing whatever you normally do just don't reset.

your profile is a function of your connection speed so to get a higher profile you must get a faster connection speed

read here about profiles  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

0 Ratings
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

I seem to be missing something here - my line can provide me 8Mps (it did on my previous connection before i (foolishly) moved the connection to another number.  Something is now limiting the download speed to less than half what it was before, and I assumed that as I have been allocated a 'profile' (it looks like mine is 3000 Kbps), it is this that is limiting my speed.

However, you are saying that 'your profile is a function of your connection speed'', whichis the reverse of what I had assumed.   If my profile is dictated by my connection speed, what dictates my connection speed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

your connection speed is set mainly by the length of your line from the exchange to your home and then the quality of your line and noise on the line.

if you check your router and look for down attenuation and then enter here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php   that will give a good estimate of possible connection speed and also tell you how long your line is fromthe exchange

0 Ratings
Mullavoe1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

not to hijack this thread or anything but the max speed calculator you posted imjolly when i enter my line attenuation which is 47.0db it calculates i'm 3.4km from the exchange when i'm actually 5.6km why is this ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

You may be on another exchange to the one you think you are on
0 Ratings