cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Sudden Broadband Speed Drop - User Profile?

I am using a Belkin N Wireless Router which, though easy to set up, seems not to give me stats for the line (I could not see anything on the Router Set Up page, and investigation on the web indicates that it is not possible to get the stats for this one).  So I am not able to look for the attenuation.

I had two lines running into my house, one that I had the broadband on, and one fixed line.  The broadband one gave me a max download speed of 8Mps (I do monitor it), and when I moved my broadband link to the other line, the speed dropped to some 3Mps.  It seems unlikely that the other line is using a different exchange, or that one link is longer that another, so it seems to my simple brain that the current line (the one that was used only for fixed line) must ba capable of the same speed as the original broadband only line.

I am, incidentally, doing what you suggested in an earlier exchange and leaving my PC on all the time in the hope that the profile increases in 3/5 days (I an up to 4 days so far, and the profile remains at 3000).  I will report back after 5 days with the findings.

As I cannot get stats from the Belkin modem, I cannot confirm that the link has been live all that time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

assuming both lines run parallel to each aother it is still possible that one has bad connections and the other does not.  this would give a poorer speed on one than the other and if the joints were that bad then the resistence would be higher and then the attenuation would be different also.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Sorry - I was wrong - I did find the attenuation on the router page - it says it is 20 (upstream is 😎 - so:

This seems to bear out my thoughts, unless I misunderstand what it is saying - assuming that I am on the slower line-type, I could expect between 7 and 8 Mbps?

0 Ratings
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 24

imjolly - by the way - thank you for being so patient with me.

0 Ratings
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 24

The below is some info from the router - does it help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

not a problem

looks like with you attenuation you should get the max of 8mb so it would suggest there is noise on your line which is resulting in a higher noise margin than normal 6 (with your attenuation normal could be higher) which in turn will reduce your speed

if you can find the stats it would help - probably near where you found the attenuation figure

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

beat me to it  lolSmiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best done with a corded phone if possible   if cordless normal would be a dull hum

are you connected to the master or test socket or an extension socket?

0 Ratings
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Quiet line test using a corded telephone to an extension socket added by a BT engineer results in silence.   Connecting to the master socket (I think it is the master socket) starts off quiet, but then produces a 'beep' followed by a hiss.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 24

any noise on your connection will be a problem for your broadband.  Iwould try again later and if still an audible hiss then you need to report a phone fault by dialling 151.  do NOT report a broadband fault.  getting rid of any noise will help you broadband

0 Ratings