cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: Sudden Broadband Speed Drop - User Profile?

Thank you - I will do as you said, and get back one way or another.  Can I say that I identified a noisy line through a quiet test after experiencing noise on the line, or should I merely say that we get noise on the line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 24

just that you are getting noise when you are on the phone and that you have tried the quiet line test which confirms there is noise even on a quiet line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
jcaswell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 24

Wouldn't you know it - I dd a final check and my monitoring app showed me that the speed was pretty much what it was before so I carried out the test again and lo and behold the profile has been reset to 5500 (see below).  So sometime between this morning when I last did the test, and this evening, my profile has increased.

It seems that my remembered 8Mps was a bit of an exaggeration - nearer 5.5, but better than I was getting

I will do what you suggested and check again for the noise on the quiet line test, and fix that if it recurrs.

If I go back to my normal habit of turning my PC off when I am not using it, will my profile revert, or will it stay as long as I use the system regularly?

imjolly - Thank you very much for your help - you have been very reassuring.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 24

I would just check again when you remember and make sure line is quiet - if not then you know what to do.

BT recommend that the router be left on 24/7 but many people still switch off at night.  the main thing is not to switch off and on a few times in quick succession as that can be taken by the exchange as a line problem with increase in noise margin, drop in speed and the profile

I still think with your attenuation you should expect 8mb but your noise margin has to come down for that to happen.  If there is still noise (hissing) then that won't happen until the noise problem is fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings