Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_Baker
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Sudden Drop in Sync and D/L speed

Hi,

Three days ago my hub diconected (normally solid as a rock) and reconnected itself some 1.5 Hrs later hower the Sync Speed had fell from 13M to 3.023m and the D/L speed from 12M (noise 6.6db) to 2.5M (noise 37 db). I have left a few days to see if it starts top creep back up but so far nothing. Is there something/somebody I should check or call to help resolve this.

Im on Option 3,  with Mobile and dongle (on which I get better speeds currently)

Steve

Steve
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Ash
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Sudden Drop in Sync and D/L speed

I've had the exact same issue and I am chasing BT.

This has been going on for a while and e-mails to BT Care and phone calls are not getting me anywhere. E-Mails are slow and I could really do to just talk to someone who has a clue over the phone.

Call Centers insist I have an error on the line, two visits from the BT Engineers have told me there is nothing wrong it.

I've got another Engineer visit tomorrow who is supposed to be checking the exchange but I have little faith.

The only response you'll get in here is to send an e-mail to the BT Forum Moderators.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

can you post the stats from your hub and also the results from btspeedtester and someone may be able to assist.  With such a change in noise margin the first thought is you have a noise problem on your line.  Have you checked your line with a phone connected to the master socket and then the quiet line test - dial 17070 and then option 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Steve_Baker
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Quiet Line Test = Quiet no disernable noise.

Plugging into master socket = no change

BT Speedtest:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2731 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3020 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.55:27.77:56.68 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

Stats:

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 2:04:19
Downstream3,023 Kbps
Upstream834 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)

28.2 dB / 6.7 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

35.5 dB / 19.6 dB

Output power (Down/Up)19.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Steve
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

can you post the errors from the bottom of the hub adsl stats page but I think you need to email the mods  forum.moderation.team@bt.com  and give them your account number, phone number and a link to this post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Steve_Baker
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Stats Inc Erro info:

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)28.4 dB / 5.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)35.5 dB / 19.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up)20.7 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)30754 / 113
CRC Errors (Down/Up)137 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 54861
Error Seconds (Local)14
Steve
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

as you have already tried leaving it for a few days to see if it rectifies itself I would now email the mods as I said in my previous post. I think you need an engineeer to sort this for you

0 Ratings
Keefter78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I'd kill for 2731 Kbps

0 Ratings
daz4004
Message 9 of 11

hi

you may have a problem with your exstensions witch will be slowing your speed bt engineers may will be only testing your line from your master socket/ nte5 back to the exchange than the test will be good make sure you are getting adsl engineer not a line telephone engineer as they test differnt things

good luck daz

0 Ratings
Morpheus
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

I have seen similar problems in another post. Very similar symptoms. From the speeds you are stating you must be operating on ADSL2+ and be quite close to the exchange.

I deal with DSL type circuits every day in my job and come across this speed lose quite often when the technician's have done a bad installation. I beleive BT is still learning about these ADSL speeds and the OpenReach technician's are totally untrained to solve the problem.

In my work situation the problem is usually associated with a bad connection somewhere along the line. However, I have seen decrease in performance of the line through the corrosion of the cable connections at the master socket. 

The cables used are copper and normally connect to a steel terminal on the master socket. Over time and with mosture that tends to be associated with many master sockets, the copper starts to oxidize. Essentially turn green. This reduces the contact point in the master socket. It is essentially like squeezing a hosepipe and expecting the water to pass at the same rate. 

Believe it or not if they line checked for the telephone, it is highly unlikely they will find a problem.

I would suggest you having a look at your master socket both at the point where the incoming wires are connected and on the contacts and spring contacts that connect the front of the master socket to the rear.

If anything look corroded, get it changed by BT.

I hope this is the problem.

One other thing to note, the multiplexer that BT uses in the exchange will most likely have set itself to the lower rate and will require BT to reset your like to get the speeds back. It also look, from your data, that the link is operating as G.DMT rather then ADSL2+.

0 Ratings