cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clairewatson
Contributor
Message 1 of 53

Sudden Issue with Broadband , speeds fluctuating constantly up and down , unusable broadband.

Hi i have been with BT a few months now and everything has been great, connection has been rock steady at 8000kbps download rate, even reaching 8500kbps at times somehow. But for the last 4 days for no apparent reason speeds are fluctating all over from 8000kbps down too 800 abd this is happening all day and night and is basically making everything unusable , i purchase a lot of games on Steam hence why i download a lot but i purchased game other day and still have not downloaded because it's basically too slow and waiting time would take forever. I have tried a manual reset on the hub not long ago but this has not made a difference and im really annoyed now. I contacted BT last night and the indian customerr service rep put the fault on my account and says it will be fixed in 24/48 hours ( heard this before at previous address ). Anyways i basically want too know what the problem could be , if there is any exchange problems ? ( cant see any on any of the websites , exchange is dl17 ). Thanks in advance for help. Below is stats from hub. It is unlimted i have and with bt vision also but cant even use that rigth now because it just buffers constantly because of speeds. I simply find it atrocious that bt provide service like this without any warning and i guarentee im going too have too pay for my bill still even though i cant even use anything im paying for right now. If it isnt fixed i'll simply cancel contract and will not pay early leaving fee as BT are not providing what im paying for. But anyways we will see what bt staff here have too say on the matter first. thanks

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:42:50
Downstream:8,128 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):17.4 dB / 31.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):14.5 dB / 10.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 11.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Speed tester result on bt tester.

Download  Speed
 1987 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1987 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
0 Ratings
52 REPLIES 52
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 53

Re: Sudden Issue with Broadband , speeds fluctuating constantly up and down , unusable broadband.

your router stats look ok with max 8mb connection for adslmax and the correct profile.  as you say the download speed is low for your profile.  when you ran btspeedtesterw ere you connected by ethernet or wireless?

you probably checked these sites but just in case  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
clairewatson
Contributor
Message 3 of 53

Re: Sudden Issue with Broadband , speeds fluctuating constantly up and down , unusable broadband.

It's connected via ethernet yes. Yeah checked the sites already. Literally unplayable on my xbox live also , lag lag lag constantly , really annoyed... 😕

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 53

hi could you please run at least 3 bt speed tests over the next 24 hours to see if there are any as of yet non reported exchange problems
0 Ratings
clairewatson
Contributor
Message 5 of 53

not a problem. Shall do one now.

0 Ratings
clairewatson
Contributor
Message 6 of 53

Here is test 23:50pm Feb 12th

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4986 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

As you can see it's changed again , it's all over the place. Just switched off my xbox360 and btvision as both unusable.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 53

it could be peak time congestion but we need more information to confirm it if it is then it will need the forum mods to intervene and get it fixed
clairewatson
Contributor
Message 8 of 53

Like i said never had a single problem since the broadband was installed so it cant be peak time congestion it is happening 24/7 not just the supposed *peak times* , i could run a speed test every 2 minutes and they would all be up and down.... are you getting my point. And if it was peak times etc then it has too be BT who is doing this as nothing has changed in terms of hub , wiring etc etc so someone is messing about with my braodband at the end of the day. Typical BT in all honesty. Who works for BT on this forum ? Can you get them too at least acknowledge my post and do something about this. ps: thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Panmaster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 53

Those line stats are awesome. Just change to a decent ISP such as Bethere or Sky and you're laughing. Should be able to get 20mb down, 2 mb up.

Unless you can get BT Infinity I'd stay clear of BT. I've read stories about BT getting addresses wrong and cancelling phone lines without permission, refusing to admit error, still charging and asking for hundreds to install a new line.

"Ignorance is bliss"
0 Ratings
clairewatson
Contributor
Message 10 of 53

Hi pan , yeah i know my line stats are great , this is my whole point with this shambolic service im receiving all of a sudden , there is no way just out of the blue everything can go t*ts up for no reason so i firmly believe BT are doing it from there end i cant think of any other viable reason why this sh*t is happening. A family member of mine joined Talk Talk some 3 weeks ago , he lives no more than 500 yards away and is getting 12.2 mb down with a max of 16mb and i find that amusing as BT clearly state that i can only receive maximum of 8mb down at out exchange , clearly someone is telling porkies ey. Like i said too my partner i'll give them a few days too sort it and if it isnt then i'll simply switch isp , i know im under 12 month contract as only been with BT 2-3 months but i wont a pay a penny for leaving contract early as i will simply show the proof that im not receiving the services im paying for , i monitor everything regarding my internet speeds 24/7 with softare running on pc's so BT cant come up with lame excuses towards me regarding speed checks etc. They seem too think customers are a little silly when it comes too internet/Tech/Law etc but unfortunately for them people like myself had a long education 😉 i aint daft and i certainly know BT are breaking many laws in there handling of affairs regarding Broadband. Just need's a little push and shove in the right direction for certain parties too notice ;). Anyways im tired and still working on an assignment ( ps: i aint a student 😉 lol) night

0 Ratings