cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Sudden Jump in Broadband usage

This month I have experienced a sudden jump in my usage. My average daily usage has approximately doubled.

Yesterday usage was 2.1GB .... Have data traffic monitors running on my iPads and PC's and I have an enormous discrepancy.

My Internet WiFi is shutdown between 22:30 and 7:30 every day. 

Usual average monthly usage is 30.04GB ..... so far this month I am at 22.5GB as of the 12/6/15.

Clearly, my worry is that my 40GB will be exceed and subsequently be charged for what I perceive to be bandwidth I have not used.

Where can I find out WHEN my Internet (as in time of day) is being used and ideally how much traffic has been generated during that period (on an hourly basis would suffice)

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Sudden Jump in Broadband usage

@June2013 wrote:

Where can I find out WHEN my Internet (as in time of day) is being used and ideally how much traffic has been generated during that period (on an hourly basis would suffice)

You can only do that with the individual monitors that you are already using. Are they monitoring upload as well as download?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Yes, both upload and download.

I need to compare my reading against what BT say I am using and atm they don't match.

I know that a problem exists with how BT recording internet usage. 

Yesterday the laptop was on airplane mode all day, the two Ipads used 15mb in total, the main destop PC has used 4.12GB in total this month, the windows phone has been off-site. These are all the devices I use ! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Unfortunately you can only obtain the running total (24hrs in arrear!!!) from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

So should I go to court and contest the usage, BT will just give a running total as evidence. It will be thrown out !!

BT can give the usage, even if I have to get it via the FOI act. Why they don't provide a breakdown is because it's probably in their interest not too.

If historic data traffic is an issue (and I can't see why it is) , why can't BT put a 24 hour monitor on my link !

At work I can monitor the data traffic over any connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Unless I can resolve this, I guess the only answer is to cancel my BT Broadband and move to an unlimited package with another provider.

All I ask is for some basic information, breakdown of usage during 24 hours, how difficult can this be ! Any breakdown !

Call me cynical, but what better way to force users onto the more expensive unlimited packages in order the save going over their monthly limit. Had BT broadband for I think 3 years now and never once gone over my monthly limit.

Something is wrong and all I want is the answer to a simple request from BT.

Like I mentioned before, I know that their recording of user data is flawed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

If you want cynical, those on an unlimited package can't even see any data usage so are unaware if they would benefit by downgrading to a limited package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

"If you want cynical, those on an unlimited package can't even see any data usage so are unaware if they would benefit by downgrading to a limited package." .....

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Next week I will turn off the BT hub for 24/48 hours .... lets see how much I use then !  Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

@licquorice wrote:

If you want cynical, those on an unlimited package can't even see any data usage so are unaware if they would benefit by downgrading to a limited package.

Yes you can but it is only a combined total for upload and download. There was a thread about it including instructions how to access the usage monitor.

Is the sudden jump related to the BT WiFi yet again being included in the usage.

0 Ratings