cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: Sudden Jump in Broadband usage

While visiting the BT TV packages page I started to notice a bit of upload, round about 500kb/s. This was going to Hostname: ws.sessioncam.com. This has worked out, on the short occasions I’ve visited this page over the last four days, at around 110MB upload. BT are obviously using software by www.sessioncam.com (check it out) to monitor mouse movement on their pages. I’m not suggesting this is pushing people over their capped limit but can BT legitimately charge customers for going over their limit when they are using so much of the customers bandwidth themselves?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

more likely you have had a programme you have downloaded that has sessioncam piggy backed on it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 13 of 17

Nope! Only happens on the BT TV packages page. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

no sign of it here
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 17

@June2013 wrote:

This month I have experienced a sudden jump in my usage. My average daily usage has approximately doubled.

Yesterday usage was 2.1GB .... Have data traffic monitors running on my iPads and PC's and I have an enormous discrepancy.

My Internet WiFi is shutdown between 22:30 and 7:30 every day. 

Usual average monthly usage is 30.04GB ..... so far this month I am at 22.5GB as of the 12/6/15.

Clearly, my worry is that my 40GB will be exceed and subsequently be charged for what I perceive to be bandwidth I have not used.

Where can I find out WHEN my Internet (as in time of day) is being used and ideally how much traffic has been generated during that period (on an hourly basis would suffice)

You can monitor your usage on an hourly basis using your Home Hub. You can also see what devices are connected to the HH during that time.  Unfortunately this has to be done manually.  

Message 3  of this thread gives general advice and is slightly out of date now.

I suggest you read it and if you require more advice please ask.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/more-Unbelievable-BB-Usage-more-help-needed-son/m-p/13872...

It is not a good idea to switch off or reset your Home Hub as this deprives you of credible evidence to challenge BT figures with.   BT records usage at the server end not using any client device so even if the HH is switched off the BT usage monitor can still record usage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 17

I have a similar problem. I recently took a new BT package including a you view box and netflix ...with a 20gb allowance as my average usage was about 7gb per month max. This was sold to me by BT on the basis that all youview box usage including on demand and netflix would noT count on my broadband as it was through the youview box.Since using this my broadband usage has gone through the roof. In case it was someone else latching onto it BT changed my wep password. So as an experiment to see where this was coming from prior to the change of password I did not use my ondemand or netfilx at all but used my laptop as usual ...result was I used 0.23gb. Then my password was changed so no one else could use it and I started to watch a series on netflix ...this was done on Thrs 11th June. By Sunday 14th I had used 6.76 gb !!!!. So clearly the youview box is leaking data usage onto my broadband when I use netflix. So that could be the same for you.

BT said this should not be happening and are ringing me at 4.30 today to talk through what has been happening....it will be an interesting conversation....... I would be grateful if a BT moderator could come back to me on this re this forum to help me 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 17

Hi MikeL1,

If you don't have any joy with the call back this evening use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings