Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 31

Re: Sudden Slow BB speed..

Go to solution

Forums are mainly used by people with problems those who are happy with the service don't usually say so

The only problem I have had with BT in years was a 14 day break caused by a drunk driver taking out a telephone post with 11 lines attached 

14 days seemed a life time but a rock steady 700Kbs plus on an up to 8 Meg is my main experience of BT  

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
nellyh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 31

Go to solution

SeanD

Well, the MAC is presumably on its way to me.

I've resent email sent mod email from each of my bt emails.

I'm grateful for the attempt San, but have to say not optimistic based on record so far.

0 Ratings
nellyh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 31

Go to solution

An update, and praise where it is due.

Once Sean from mods got his teeth into this things have started to happen, and although we are not there yet, I appreciate your efforts Sean, thanks.

Having installed a new v2 Homehub, and seeing no improvement, indeed something of a further decline in speeds, an engineer was booked for today, and not only did he arrive but the came early! (rang saying finished previous job early can he come now? - fine by me!)

Line checked, is ok. All relevant connection checks done, is ok. Fitted new filtered plate, great.

Engineer phones Openreach and BT, gets cap removed, bingo, line shows over 18Mbps (though actual speed still at 5Mbps with profile of 5.5Mbps, & upload has dropped from 1150kbps to 350. However, on the assumption the profile should now recover itself, it was left at that, engineer left.

For the first hour or so things were fine, although the actual speed and profile did not improve.

Then the router decides to restart itself, but luckily no impact as line sync still shows 18Mbps, even if actual speed is still 5Mbps, and profile 0.5Mbps. but I get that sinking feeling.

Then about 4 hours in, the line just crashes to under 0.5Mbps, actual downloads to under 3Mbps, and profile down to 0.35Mbps! (though oddly upload recovered to 0.88Mbps profile and speed).

About half-hour later, router decides to restart itself again.

Sadly the btspeedtest site is refusing to test my number just now, so I guess I'll just have to wait.

I should mention the router itself reports the line available at 18Mbps though all this!

There are no appreciable errors up or down the line showing, but I guess if I could just get the router to stop restarting the line might stand a chance and recover some throughput.

Any ideas anyone?

0 Ratings
nellyh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 31

Go to solution

SeanD, hello, anyone? Anybody there?

Currently, line shows (homehub) 18Mbps, actual achievable download 6Mbps (should be 15-17).

Upload, line shows 443Kbps (homehub) (should be 1.1Mbps), actual achievable around 330Kbps.

Can't give you stats, 'cos btspeedtester will not run at this time.

0 Ratings
nellyh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 31

Go to solution

Actually, I've just been browsing trhe Forum and a light came on (in my head that is!) - my stats match what I would expect of an 8Mbps service, not a 20. (6Mpbs down, 443 kbps up), i wonder........SeanD/mods?

0 Ratings
nellyh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 31

Go to solution

BT speedtester is finally working again, and  there appears to be a significant change.

My profile is finally moving, but sadly the throughput is not.

My line still shows 18223/443, profile is now up to 14262/10000 (yes that is not a typo - 10000kbps upload!)

But actual connection speeds achieved 5091/311.

Slowly losing the will to live......

0 Ratings
nellyh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 31

Go to solution

Not that anyone seems interested, BT, Mods, nor even sad to say forum 'experts', but I'm still having problems.

Latest speedtest (is the bt speedtester still producing silly stuff - look at connection speed!

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
6658 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6658 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :19316 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.08:24.32:64.59 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
355 Kbps

0 Kbps 443 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 355 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 443 Kbps

0 Ratings
borderline
Contributor
Message 28 of 31

Go to solution

I think this is a losing battle with BT.

I have speed problems too, engineer 1 comes, after he leaves I get good speeds for a couple of days... then speed starts to drop again. Engineer 2 comes and he tells me that BT reduces speeds to cram more people in but he will ask them to leave my speed as  he left it (14mb from a possible 20mb)I'm happy with that. But I fear that they will reduce the speed again and bingo, a couple of days later my speed has dropped to 6mb with a download speed of 3mb and noise margin increase.

Luckily my contract runs out end of October, if things dont improve I know what my next step will beSmiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
oldradarman
Message 29 of 31

Go to solution

My connection has been satisfactory for the last few months, zero probs. Last week it fell to the floor, various speedtests

gave discouraging results, (speedtester.bt gave 144Kb/s download, 1060Kb/s upstream (what?). Communicating my dissatisfaction to BT resulted in  numerous calls to/from India, and a visit from two engineers obviously experienced in dealing with the intellectually challenged. These guys declared the copper to the exchange was OK, and said it would be fixed in twenty four hours. that was many,many days ago, and still the connection is c***p,

Another call from India this morning, another engineer coming tomorrow.  It's a distraction from another dull day particularly as my BROADBAND CONNECTION IS CAT 6!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 31

Go to solution

@oldradarman wrote:

My connection has been satisfactory for the last few months, zero probs. Last week it fell to the floor, various speedtests

gave discouraging results, (speedtester.bt gave 144Kb/s download, 1060Kb/s upstream (what?). Communicating my dissatisfaction to BT resulted in  numerous calls to/from India, and a visit from two engineers obviously experienced in dealing with the intellectually challenged. These guys declared the copper to the exchange was OK, and said it would be fixed in twenty four hours. that was many,many days ago, and still the connection is c***p,

Another call from India this morning, another engineer coming tomorrow.  It's a distraction from another dull day particularly as my BROADBAND CONNECTION IS CAT 6!

there were some serious outages all over the country in last 7/10 days resulting in no broadband or very slow.  Most of that appears fixed now from the forum posts.

can you post the adsl stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results. Someone may then be able to offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings