cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Sudden change of mobile phone reception

I've been a BT mobile phone customer for around 8 months. 

Within the last few weeks, mobile phone coverage in my home has drastically deteriorated. Calls now fade in and out (receiving and making). Reception shows -115dBm in SIM card status.

I've tried general troubleshooting actions - from restarting to reseating SIM. No change.

Would there be any possible BT-related explanation for this or is it likely to be my phone (a 6-month old Note 5 - so seems unlikely) ? I haven't been able to independently test my SIM yet.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sudden change of mobile phone reception

as BT use EE network do you have anyone you know using EE with same problems you can ask

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

OK. Tried with a virgin phone and SIM. (A lumia 920 fwiw). Phone receives fine reception and no problems.

Put the Virgin SIM in my Note 5 and get -95dBm. Fine.

Put the BT SIM in the LUmia 920 and get worse reception than with the Virgin SIM.

So, it does seem as though it's the BT network that's causing the problem. Any ideas?

ps Also tried dropping the network mode down to 3G/2G only (ie no LTE) and I get a much better signal -89dBm.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

@nickt1 wrote:

OK. Tried with a virgin phone and SIM. (A lumia 920 fwiw). Phone receives fine reception and no problems.

Put the Virgin SIM in my Note 5 and get -95dBm. Fine.

Put the BT SIM in the LUmia 920 and get worse reception than with the Virgin SIM.

So, it does seem as though it's the BT network that's causing the problem. Any ideas?

ps Also tried dropping the network mode down to 3G/2G only (ie no LTE) and I get a much better signal -89dBm.

Is -89dBm your normal signal strength?

This is a familiar situation, and it may be that a cell in your area has been upgraded to 4G.

I have my mobile set permanently to 3G, and sometimes have to revert to 2G. The phone tries to connect to the fastest available network, which in our location is 4G but is of marginal strength at around  -110dBM.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Aha. That makes sense. Thanks so much for helping.

As to whether -89dBm is my normal signal strength, I'm not sure. I don't normally keep an eye on these things.

But this does present two problems... 

1) It scuppers creating a network from my 4G during broadband outtages.

2) It means I need to manually switch  network settings to get LTE when I leave the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

@nickt1 wrote:

Aha. That makes sense. Thanks so much for helping.

As to whether -89dBm is my normal signal strength, I'm not sure. I don't normally keep an eye on these things.

But this does present two problems... 

1) It scuppers creating a network from my 4G during broadband outtages.

2) It means I need to manually switch  network settings to get LTE when I leave the house.

Yes, it's easy to forget to switch before going outdoors. If you live in a rural area there's not much 4G. The masts appear to be clustered around business "parks" and busy road networks, or service stations.

3G as measured at home shows 14.4 mbps, which is acceptable for the mobile phone. I don't use tethering unless the broadband is out - very rare here. Last time was 4 years ago, (when tethering was allowed through the old Vodaphone system). You can use tethering now from the EE system.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I'm in London N1. This must be affecting a fair number of people near me with BT contracts, I would have thought. BB outtages here are more common - once a month or so. When that happens being able to tether from mobile can be essential to getting stuff done.

As for switching to LTE etc, I guess I could set up a shortcut or even an automated task based on when GPS tracks me as at home vs not.

Is there any recourse you know of? That is, is it worth contacting BT or are they powerless?

THanks again for all the help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

For Android 6, the simple way to access change network settings is to tap and hold the data icon, from the quick setting button.

This is accessed by a one finger swipe down from the main screen.........But you probably know that.

You could try mobile online chat and raise a query re the sudden change in reception.

I was in online contact with them recently. They do try to help.

0 Ratings