cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crd1904
Contributor
Message 31 of 54

Re: IP Profile

I am not in the test socket. Quiet line test is fine. Should I put it in the test socket? Is it safe to leave the front of the socket just dangling!?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 54

it is not a problem to leave the front dangling but it does mean that none of the extension sockets will work.  it may well be a problem with noise on the internal wiring taht is causing your problem and only way to eliminate that as a possibility is to conenct to the test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
crd1904
Contributor
Message 33 of 54

Ok Im with you. Sorry for all these problems. But the errors are clearly too high. DOn' think they've been this high before. I've now connected it to the test socket and will leave it there. If this does not clear the errors where next? Can I get BT out to check the wiring or is this chargeable? The foreign call centres insist its because Im connecting using wireless and not a wire. I cannot use a wire connection cos my macbook air doesnt have one:-( Regards

0 Ratings
crd1904
Contributor
Message 34 of 54

Have just looked at the reading from the test socket connection:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:06:26
Downstream:5.406 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):48.3 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):259 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):13884 / 567

Errors gone. Noise back to 6. What does this mean? Can I get the socket replaced free of charge?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 54

I would suggest you posy new stats now as you are just conencted to test socket and then either later tonight or preferably tomorrow post new stats which will show how the errors are increasing.  using the test socket eliminates your internet wiring and apart from a new filter it then comes down to the hub or external which you cannot control - so job for openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
crd1904
Contributor
Message 36 of 54

These are new stats:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:06:26
Downstream:5.406 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):48.3 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):259 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):13884 / 567

Noise back to 6. Errors gone. IP Profile is still on 2 it would seem but this might clear itself shortly.

Would seem to be socket fault?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 54

if the problem is your internal wiring then if you get engineer I would expect you will get charged for visit and would get new socket.  can you use the test socket permanently?  if not could you use the master socket?  if so then I would replace the detachable front with a new filtered faceplate adsl v1 then no filters are required.  downside would be that broadband will only work in this new filtered master 

0 Ratings
crd1904
Contributor
Message 38 of 54

It was the mastersocket I was using which was fitted by BT some years ago. It has a filtered faceplate on it (thats now dangling!) Replacing it would mean attaching some wires to the connection inside. Surely this is covered by Openreach?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 54

no the faceplate is up to you.  you can buy one and fit it yourself - just connect wires to same terminals 2 & 5 but you need an IDC tool - sometime come free with faceplate

0 Ratings
crd1904
Contributor
Message 40 of 54

Oh right. There are a few loose wires amongst the otherwires. Is this normal? And 2 wires into terminal 2, 2wires into terminal 5 and 1 wire into terminal 3. I suppose If I reconnect these identically? Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated! Now that the errors have gone and noise is back to 6 should IP Profile eventually increase?

0 Ratings