cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Sudden drop in BRAS rate

Had Infinity installed July 31st, with a predicted download speed of 63.6Mb. The engineer who set it up said, based on his tests, that I should receive 72-76Mb. Sure enough, for 3 weeks I have had consitent speeds of 72-76. After the 10 day training period I had just a couple of disconnects and no change in download rate.

Yesterday morning I got up and discovered that the Home Hub had reconnected during the night, and since then my download speeds have not exceeded 50Mb. I checked using the BE Usergroup tester and got the following result:

The Service ID is: BBEUxxxxxxxx
This is a 21CN line.
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 51.79 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

(If I use http://speedtester.bt.com/ it fails with an error.)

Anyone have any ideas why this may have happened or how to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Sudden drop in BRAS rate

Most likely is a burst of intermittent noise.  If it was a one-off, then DLM will gradually let your speed climb back up.  During that period, disconnect/reconnect the router daily, but do not do anythong to the modem.  If the noise is more repetitive or is not even intermittent, then you will probably be stuck at the lower speed unless something can be done to fix the issue. 

Check the audio line with a quiet line test.  Plug an analog wired phone directly into the master socket, dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test).  If there is noise, contact BT landline help to get it fixed.

If the noise is intermittent it is very difficult to track down.  The best diagnostics is to monitor the line yourself, but that requires an unlocked modem.   You could try ringing service or contacting the mods at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 and seeing if they will get the line monitored; they may not be helpful as you speeds are still good, not just as good as you got used to.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your detailed response (and apologies for my slow reply).

There does not appear to noise on the line. (I had problems with this before upgrading to Infinity, and an engineer fixed it by replacing fixtures and cabling outside the property before the upgrade).  

I have raised the issue with a mod and am currently monitoring th eline to see if DLM resolves the problem.  I'll post an update.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

I had a very similar problem recently, I discovered that my IP Profile had been lowered to around 38.x Mbps. Luckily I have a hacked modem and that told me that the sync had not changed in the last 100 or so days. So I just restarted my router to establish a new PPPoE session and my speed returned to normal immediately. 

I am curious as to what happened, did some BT bod apply a fixed profile to the wrong circuit? I don't suppose I'll ever find out but it is something to watch for. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@ TheHorseman
The IP Profile drop would have been caused by an increase in nose on the line in an attempt to stabilise the connection
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Yes that is what should happen, however my experience shows that an IP Profile can change when nothing has happened. The modem was showing a dsl uptime of over 100 days, therefore there had been no loss of sync. ( it is currently showing just over 108 days). If the sync had changed the dsl uptime would be reset to zero on the resync. 

I think that in my case BT applied a fixed profile to the wrong circuit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

So it's now 12 days since the sudden drop in my line rate from 70+ Mbps to 50 Mbps.

After 5 days it reset to an IP profile of 70.21 Mbps, close to what I had previously enjoyed.  One day later it dropped again to 60.67 Mbps and it has remained fixed at this for a week now despite manual router resets.

60+ Mbps is clearly a good speed and I'm unlikely to be able to persuade BT to change anything.  But it's a bit frustrating that for weeks I had a stable connection that was nearly 25% faster.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 13

It does sound as if DLM is behaving more or less correctly in the face of some intermittent noise.  The only way you could find out more is by using an unlocked modem.  That will give more idea of whether you can hope for better again, and also may help analyze the pattern of noise and track down its source.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Out of interest, how would I obtain an unlocked modem?

Thanks...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

You do it yourself.
0 Ratings