Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richdotor
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Sudden drop in Broadband Speed

Hi

Here's my problem:

Over the weekend my broadband speed dropped from a steady 5mps to 1.5mps. This occured at the same time as my landline went dead. Over the entire weekend and monday the broadband worked even though the landline didn't . Today my landline has been fixed but the broadband is still at 1.5mps. When the broadband slowed down over the weekend i cheked my hub and it said I had a downstream of 2mps. Now with the landline back up and running the hub says I have a downstream of 5mps even though I'm still only getting 1.5mps. 

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Sudden drop in Broadband Speed

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
richdotor
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Capture.PNG

Connecting to master socket makes no difference. Wont' let me do another speed test within the hour but last time it did it it said my acceptable speed was between 0.5-2.0mps

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

you have a 5.9mb connection but your noise margin is high at 14.1 as normal about 6.  your connection time is only 38min is that due to the hub resetting or manual reset?

do you have other phone sockets in other rooms in your home?  did you try the test socket assuming you have an NTE5 master?

what about the quiet line test?

the btspeedtester results are needed as that will show if profile low for your connection speed as that could easily be cause of poor download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
richdotor
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

After the phone line went back up I reset the hub. There are no other phone sockets in the house. I tried the test socket and all my internal wiring sockets are new. BT came round and replaced them a few months ago when my Broadband cut out for 2 weeks. Is it the case that after 72 hours my speed will get back to normal and the noise margin will settle?

My IP profile was 1750 when I did the speed test. I'll do another as soon as it lets me. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
richdotor
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Just did the quiet line test and there was no noise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

if you only have the master socket then connecting to test will make little if any difference.  If your profile was 1750 then that is the problemas with your connection speed your profile should be 5000  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

as you said if you stay connected 24/7 for nex 3/5 days maybe sooner then your profile should rise automatically

0 Ratings
richdotor
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Maybe or should? I'm looking for some certainty here. If it doesn't rise what should I do?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

your profile should return to normal if you maintain the connection but should you get to 3+ days connection time shown in your router then contact the mods as it might be stuck although I doubt it is  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
richdotor
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Ok. Thanks. 

0 Ratings