Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HoverDonkey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Sudden, huge degradation of service.

Hi all,

I've been on BT Infinity for about a year now and it's been awesome.

But on Sunday, my broadband connection kept dropping every couple of hours. On Monday, my broadband was gone, so I did a full reboot of the Openreach box and the Home Hub.

Hey presto! Full, fast Internet again. Except I did a quick line test on www.pingtest.net and found I had 3% packet loss - NOT good. Shortly after my connection dropped again. Another modem restart restored my connection for a few minutes, but then it dropped yet again.

I called BT Tech Help and was met by an Indian call centre guy (very friendly, but didn't want to acknowledge that I knew there was an issue with my broadband already, so made me go through a reset of my modem). When my connection returned he said "I am glad your problem is solved". I was a little annoyed and explained that it wasn't solved as I knew my connection would drop again soon, so he said he'd phone me back at 8pm.

I was impressed when at 8pm he phoned and he asked if my problem was solved, so I replied saying it wasn't.

He told me not to worry, because "I know what your problem is and I will put in place a permanent solution so that it never happens again". He said I would get a call the following day. At 3:15pm the following day I get a call. A different man, I think, still from an Indian cal centre. He asked "Is your problem fixed?", to which I said no, it wasn't. He said he would let an engineer know so they could look into it, and I should wait up to 6 days for various tests to be performed!!! My connection is now very poor indeed and even a DNS lookup can take minutes, and that's when I can actually get a connection at all.

I'm annoyed it took 3 conversations before it was considered appropriate to escalate my issue beyond the "restart the modem" level. And six days?! I'm hoping it will be MUCH faster than that, as my wife is just starting a business from home and this couldn't happen at a worse time.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this, or how I could seek to get a quicker resolution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sudden, huge degradation of service.

Hi and welcome to the forums

Sorry to hear you having issues, it could be because your vdsl modem or HH3 are starting to fail as at year old they are the older versions and some of them were prone to having issues but that is just a guess on my part.

Your best bet is to talk to the forum mods if you fill out a form click here  they are a small team based in Ireland.

As they are a small team it can take 2-3 days before they respond, they are very good at solving problems.

Best of luck

0 Ratings
HoverDonkey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your response!

I'll see what the engineers come up with today before I bother the mods here.

If it is the modem, then it's mighty inconsiderate of it not waiting until it's replaced by BT's contractors!! 😛

0 Ratings
HoverDonkey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I was wondering - and sorry about the double-post - if there's a way to expedite the delivery of my replacement modem by Kelly?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@HoverDonkey wrote:

I was wondering - and sorry about the double-post - if there's a way to expedite the delivery of my replacement modem by Kelly?

Hi, you said in your previous post  "I'll see what the engineers come up with today before I bother the mods here."

If they think the modem is faulty, they will replace it with a new one anyway.

From an earlier post, you mention that your wife is setting up in business using the Infinity and I guess the telephone line.

I realise it is probably expensive to start up in business, but you will have to remember that the service levels you are going to receive are residential service levels, which means if you line or broadband goes down, it could be down for days.

If the business is going to rely on Phone/broadband usage, maybe you should look into the business options.

I know its easy for me to say because I am not paying the bill.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
HoverDonkey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hi toekneem

Thanks for your comments. Like you say, Business broadband is out of our paltry budget right now, and it's not exactly like we have a farm of servers we need to keep connected.

The hiccup in our service will delay things, but not kill the business.

Anyway, judging by this image, things may be improving:

So I'm hoping it will stay this way, so fingers crossed!

EDIT: Spoke too soon - while my connection is now reliable, my speeds have gone down from 38Mbps/8Mbps to 15Mbps/1.5Mbps... Man Sad

Anyway, thanks to the kind input from another forum member, Kelly are coming to my home tonight to swap out my Openreach modem, so I'm hoping that's going to solve things. >crossing fingers<

0 Ratings
HoverDonkey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Weirdly, a BT engineer turned up at my house today and replaced the modem AND the home hub (i had a HH2, now I have a HH3).

I say weirdly because no appointment was made for an engineer to visit my house, and both my wife and I were out at work. It was sheer coincidence that my mother-in-law had popped round to measure our curtains at exactly the same time that the engineer came round.

He called me on my mobile and said I was getting 30Mbps/8Mbps, which is OK-ish, but still only around 78% my previous speed. I'm hoping it increased as the line IP settles in, so to speak.

Overall, though, I'm happy it's been resolved so quickly.

0 Ratings