cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Sudden loss of Broadband speed

Hi folks, I have experienced a sudden loss in broadband speed which seems to be exactly the same as I experienced this time two years ago.  Since you guys helped me out last time Previous problem   I am hopeful you can help me again.

I live in quite a remote location so have ahd to make do with sub 1Mb speeds due to my distance from the exchange but I have gotten use dto this and so long as the spee ddoesn't drop to below 0.5 I can handle it ok.  Unfortunately about a week ago my speed dropped to 0.3 which makes doing anything but basic browsing a chore.  The way this happened with suddenly decreasing speeds and the stats shown on my router seem to be exactly what happened the last time.  So bearing that in mind once I had checked for faulty micro-filters etc I just left it for a few days so I could show a stable connection when i posted here.  Unfortunately my Hub had other ideas, when I went to copy my hub stats this morning I could not access the Hubs web page.  Running a speedtest showed my Ping at over 1400 to London (normally 60) and the download speed down to 0.09 Mb.  So I rest the Hub and am back at square one, it works okay but still has the low speed.  I am now wondering if what I have is actually a repeat of my previous problem or if the Hub is faulty.  Obviously I do not want to shell out for a new Hub if it has nothing to do with the slow speed but don't want to get charged engineer callout if it turns out to be my Hub.

Anyway here are my various stats.

BT Wholesale speedtest:

Download speed - 0.33

Upload speed - 0.34

Ping Latency - 61.25

Further diagnostics

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.33 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0.77 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.35 Mbps

(note that having run this test before it used to say the Ip profile was 1.5 and the acceptable range of speeds was 0.5-1.5)

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 02:21:47
Downstream:768 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):16.1 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):62.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.2 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):253 / 32
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Sudden loss of Broadband speed

so are you currently connected directly to the test socket with a new filter?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

I actually wasn't in the test socket for the above, so I have changed it now.  Micro-filter is new and quiet line test seems fine.  New line status

ADSL Line Status
Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:02:34
Downstream:256 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.3 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):61.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):14.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):364 / 20
CRC Events (Down/Up):43 / 13
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):115 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

connection speed is really low even for a 61db attenuation.  you now need to see if connection will stay stable and if it does for the normal 3 days then mods will help by resetting noise margin which bring speed back up

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Ok, i will post the line stats here each day for a few days

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

that's ok  however if it continues to drop connection then post back as you may need engineer visit

0 Ratings
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

ADSL Line Status Connection information Line state: Connected Connection time: 1 day, 03:29:24 Downstream: 256 Kbps Upstream: 448 Kbps ADSL settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 21.3 dB / 8.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 61.0 dB / 31.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 14.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 1322 / 215 CRC Events (Down/Up): 101 / 87 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 1 / 2 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 2 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Link (Remote): 0 HEC Errors (Down/Up): 147 / 66 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

that's ok still stable

0 Ratings
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

ADSL Line Status Connection information Line state: Connected Connection time: 2 days, 06:53:02 Downstream: 256 Kbps Upstream: 448 Kbps ADSL settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 19.3 dB / 8.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 61.0 dB / 31.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 14.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 2140 / 284 CRC Events (Down/Up): 102 / 110 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 1 / 2 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 2 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Link (Remote): 0 HEC Errors (Down/Up): 147 / 87 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Just a bit longer and if still stable then we can ask mods for help

0 Ratings