cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Indrid
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Sudden major problems, is my HomeHub dying?

Hey,

Been on Infinity 2 with HomeHub 3 for years with no serious problems. On September 9 British Gas showed up to install new Smart meters, which meant the power was out for two hours or so.  Ever since then, my HomeHub 3 resets itself every 30mins-60mins.  The modem seems to be fine, unless I am missing it going off.  The HH3 goes completely dark and then flashes orange power light before botting up, as if someone has stuck a pin in the reset switch. Is it trying to update firmware or something?

Any ideas why this would have happened? Has the extended power outage damaged it in some way?  Why would this happen?  There seems to be no clues in the event log (not that I really know what to look for). The Event Log will just suddenly say "WiFi Down" then "WiFi Up" thinking it's January 1st.  Last time the message before the outage was my phone connecting wirelessly 20 mins previously, but there is no rhyme or reason to what seems to cause it to cycle power.

Any help is appreciated.  Seems to be the HH3 just dying suddenly but figured I'd ask before shelling out or a new modem/router.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Indrid
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sudden major problems, is my HomeHub dying?

UPDATE: I've start timing it and the last few outages have ocurred exactly every 30 mins. Such regularity seems a bit odd.  May have been the case all along.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

0 Ratings
Indrid
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I thought the same thing, but its not just WiFi, the entire HH restarts.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@Indrid wrote:
I thought the same thing, but its not just WiFi, the entire HH restarts.

See if it restarts if you have nothing connected to it.

Try a full factory reset of the home hub to see if it helps.

Indrid
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I'd already factory resetted, and yes it seems as though it still happens with no devices on or connected.

I actually have another HH3 in the house, which I stopped using because the WiFi became terrible on it and never held connection.  I might try hooking it up and see if that restarts all the time too.

0 Ratings
Indrid
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Going back to my old HH3 fixed the restarting, I'm just left with the crappy WiFi again.

Two BT routers developing faults doesn't fill me with much confidence in HH5, what's the general consensus of it? I read about problems when it was introduced, were they fixed?

Otherwise have my eyes on the TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600. Any recommendations?

Thanks
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Indrid wrote:

Otherwise have my eyes on the TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Yes, go for it, more than happy with mine.