Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
almizan143
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Sudden slow connection about a month ago, line ip profile now 0.44 mbps

Go to solution

Hi there, started having very bad connection speed about a month ago, usually can watch youtube without much problem, but suddenly video keeps loading every few seconds. Called bt customer service, who went through some steps, then he ask me to do the bt wholesale test, which showed that my ip profile was low. So he said there is nothing wrong and that my slowness is expected, referring to my ip profile. He said probably before I had an abnormal faster speed.. what?? Can't remember exactly what was my speed test result, but it was probably less than 1 mbps. He gave me no solution other than some options on troubleshooting my computer.. so gave up on him.. and went on google, saw in the forum that the line should fix itself up as long as we don't reset the connection or anything, so I left everything alone, hoping the connection will get better... 

Tonight i tested again because connection never really improved, and the result is ip profile for my line is 0.44 mbps download. 0.63 mbps upload.. a far cry from what i'm paying for. I did some troubleshooting using BT troubleshooter but it could not find any problem... 

Please tell me step by step what I need to do, getting too old for this technical stuff.. I have not reset my connection for at least 3-4 weeks... I'm supposed to be on unlimited broadband up to 17Mb 

Best regards

Nizam

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Sudden slow connection about a month ago, line ip profile now 0.44 mbps

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
DavidM
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @almizan143 and welcome.

If you can post the information as requested by @john46 I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
almizan143
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, thank you for your responses, sorry not always able to reply quickly, but will do my best to try solving this.

1. Quiet line test done, no noise heard.
  2. Found this in the event log:

15:37:06, 19 Jun.

(583129.570000) DSL is up

15:37:01, 19 Jun.

(583124.900000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 9.00 dB downstream

15:37:00, 19 Jun.

(583123.990000) DSL line rate: 819 Kbps upstream, 503 Kbps downstream

1. Checker result

checker.jpg

1. Speedtest

speedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
You are aware you can have BT Infinity right?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
almizan143
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Well I never really looked into bt infinity option cause, for one, I never expected I would need a terribly fast connection, and mainly because I will be away from the uk for quite a while in the near future, so won't want to start a new contract.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here
JohnC2
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @almizan143 Thanks for posting back the requested information. 

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

DavidM
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for taking my call today @almizan143. I'm glad the engineer visit was able to get this sorted for you. Post back if you have any other problems and we'll be happy to help.

All the best

David